• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 3 bunnies

happybunny

Mama Doe
I know there are lots of questions about bonding but I would really like some advice.

Just before Christmas we lost one of our little girl bunnies to a tumor and this has left her boy bunny lonely.

We also have 2 other rabbits a boy and a girl who we have unsuccessfully bonded. I think this could be nervousness on my part and not letting scuffles play out.

All 3 are neutered.

The question is how likely am I to get all 3 to bond and how (if it is a goo idea) should I start the process. Bond 2 then introduce the other or just go for all 3, or are 2 boys a really bad idea?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

sorry I can't be much help but would be interested in anyones replies! I am trying to bond three bunnies as well 2 boys that are already bonded and one little girl!

I believed I read somewhere that it was best to bond the 3 at the same time, however this is not working for me as one of the boys immediately attacks both the girl and the other male!

However the female is interested in both the boys and one of the boys is interested in her so I'm now wondering whether it would be best to continue with the 3 or add another and have 2 pairs instead!!! :?

It might be worth having a look at my thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1829

The first couple of posts are prob. irrelevant but then it goes into trying to get my three to coexist.

As Athena and Violet's fighting was pretty serious with Violet actually getting properly bitten I have decided not to bond them but to get her a boyf of her own.

At least I have got to the point where Athena and Zeus get on in Violet's presence - I was worried initially that they would split up over her!

Caz

I am working on getting a trio to bond too. In this case I have two does and a Buck. One of the does and the buck were already together. I started off by taking the two does for a car ride together as I was sure they were going to be the tricky bit. They tried to fight but my picking up the carrier stopped them and they had to snuggle together during the ride. When we got home I out all three in neutral territory and they were fairly alright although the new doe was rather nervous. They were so alright they stayed together that night, and the next day and the following night. But we weren't quite there. Izzy, the new doe, is a mischeivous soul and kept darting in to the other two, nipping and running away. So I took the other doe out and left Izzy with the Buck for two days. They became totally 'loved up' (I love that phrase, its just right :) ).
Today I have gone back to work on the does, with another car journey. That went alright for the most part, but back in the bathroom (neutral territory) Izzy went back to her dart and nip routine, so they are back in the carrier together, next to me while I type. I am fairly confident I can get them to be friends, then I'll reintroduce the buck, who now loves both of them. Izzy is a very affectionate rabbit and Clover is very laid back and there isn't a mutual urge to kill going on here. If there was I would give up, I haven't the patience for a long drawn out process. This is probably why I have never yet suceeded in bonding a same sex pair :roll: BUT I WILL THIS TIME. I AM DETERMINED.
I'll let you know how we get on.

Thank you for the responses. Its good to hear that boys can be bonded. I think I will try the 3 of them at once and see hoe it goes. I will start with the car ride probably Friday and see how the weekend goes.

Thanks again and good luck to doorkeeper!

I've just tried the three of them together again, they ignored each other for about 10 mins then both the boys attacked her so I put them away!

I have managed to get three together. I started off with a pair (Neutered male & spayed female - Hobo & Honey) and tried to add two more buns - another neutered male (Azlan) and recently spayed female (Harmony)from a rescue. The second two had only recently been put together by the rescue centre and seemed happy with each other. My problems were mainly with Hobo - he was initally very protective of Honey - trying to keep her out of sight but things did eventually progress to them all being ok whilst in the shed but when they were let into the garden they used to squabble. This ended nearly two weeks later with a major fight between Hobo and Azlan which left Azlan with some nasty bites. I could let both girlies out with either male but kept the males separate and split them into two pairs at night.
Unfortunately, we lost Hobo before Christmas so I never got the chance to try them all together again. We have let Honey have access to the other two - this is ok but not perfect as Honey is trying to steal Harmony's man and will chase her away from Azlan at any opportunity. We are seriously considering getting another male to try and get a four way bond or two happy couples (must be mad).

The girls spent a peaceful night together in the bathroom, no chasing or fur pulling. :) When I fed them Isadora forgot for a minute and dived into the foodbowl at the same time. Then she remembered, or Clover gave her a LOOK, and she backed off again. I'm not sure if Clover is a very talented dirty looker or if Izzy is just a very daft girl, or both :roll: Any way, I think patience is going to work. I MUST NOT BRING BIG BOY BACK IN YET I MUST NOT BRING BIG BOY BACK IN YET I MUST NOT BRING BIG BOY BACK IN YET I MUST NOT BRING BIG BOY BACK IN YET I MUST NOT BRING BIG BOY BACK IN YET......Poor fella doesn't know why he is all by himself in the shed :( (He got extra carrot and sprouts tho )

My other trio sorted itself out. Blackberry jumped the fence and I found him happily grazing while Mama Rabbit and Thuthu fawned over him. They just adored him from the moment he set foot in their run. And he seems to be big enough for both of them; they have never fought over him, and still get affectionate with eachother too 8)

I think it is fairly easy to introduce a male to a pair of girls. It seems to be the same sex intros that are harder. It is worth it tho, when they are all together it is gorgeous.
trio.gif

Blackberry and his girls

Friday was a no go for the first meeting but Saturday we had a 15 minute car ride. As soon as Clover was in the car she started nipping Jasper. Once the engine started she calmed down a little but was all over the place. The 2 boys never moved.

After the car ride we put all 3 in the kitchen. Jasper covered in the corner from the beginning, Harvey nervously moved around and Clover again was all over the place. After 20 minutes Clover strated running between the 2 boys nipping them and fur flew.

She went for us when we tried to stop her (she is a biter, very terratorial in her hutch) so we took her back to her play room.

Jasper and Harvey continued to sit nearish to each other for a further 20 minutes before Harvey decided it was time to decide who was boss. He jumped on Jasper who ran numerous time around the kitchen to get away until he ran out of energy. Harvey then tried his look again and we had to interrupt a minor fight. Jasper seemed rather upset and they had been together over an hour so we decided to end the session. Jasper got some cuddles to calm him down and they returned to their homes.

We have decided to try again with just the boys and see how it goes. Maybe try Clover once the boys (if it works!) get on.

Is Clover spayed? Being territorial in the hutch is fairly common in unspayed girls, usually neutering makes a big improvement. It also means less hormones flying aorund when it comes to bonding. Its something you might want to look into.

Tam

Clover is spayed so that options is covered. We are trying to get her to calm down in her hutch by putting her bowl in different places and distracting her when we change her food.

As for bonding, not sure if we will continue or except she wants to be on her own.

Thanks for the advice anyway

My trio making isn't going well either :( Funnily enough its a Clover causing problems too :lol: :lol:

I thought the girls were alright, they had been together for two days and nights, but then my son wanted a shower without an audience and they got let out into the hall and my bedroom. They were fine for a while, but then Clover decided that looks weren't enough and went in for the kill :( Poor Isadora had her leg torn open and was bleeding alot. We dashed to the vet quickly, and she had lots of stitches and an overnight stay :( She is doing well now, had her wound checked today and it is fine. Now she is with Strawberry and Clover is going to get spayed asap. (I know should have done that first, but she was with a group of females with Strawberry in Plymouth and I thought she would be alright). I'll decide after she is done whether to try again.

I am so sorry to hear Isadora got injured - i do wish her a speedy recovery.

I did not worry about a little fight when I first tried to bond rabbits. After a near fatal accident it really scared me and I now dread the process. I keep telling myself how much happier the bunnies will be if they have a friend or friends.

Back