• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ears

Feels like I'm always after advice at the moment [emoji848]

Does anyone have any lionheads that have irritating ears during moults?

Rodney is moulting terribly and has started flicking and shaking one ear a lot, it doesnt seem itchy but he does seem to have it resting back a bit. Although he can use it perfectly normally when curious etc.

I'm wondering if he's missing Primrose grooming his ears and getting the loose fur. It was the only thing she would groom for him so I've never done it.

I've had a feel this morning and he was not keen at all and actually bit hubby pretty badly, but ears have always been a no go zone for him. If you even touch the tip he runs off even if you have treats.

It feels and looks normal inside and theres no smell. Would wiping him with a damp cloth be ok to see if I can clear anything that might be tickling him? I wasnt sure if that's ok on the inside of the ear.

He's acting his new normal since we lost Primrose and is actually eating a bit better than initially now. And poo production is going very well!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Feels like I'm always after advice at the moment [emoji848]

Does anyone have any lionheads that have irritating ears during moults?

Rodney is moulting terribly and has started flicking and shaking one ear a lot, it doesnt seem itchy but he does seem to have it resting back a bit. Although he can use it perfectly normally when curious etc.

I'm wondering if he's missing Primrose grooming his ears and getting the loose fur. It was the only thing she would groom for him so I've never done it.

I've had a feel this morning and he was not keen at all and actually bit hubby pretty badly, but ears have always been a no go zone for him. If you even touch the tip he runs off even if you have treats.

It feels and looks normal inside and theres no smell. Would wiping him with a damp cloth be ok to see if I can clear anything that might be tickling him? I wasnt sure if that's ok on the inside of the ear.

He's acting his new normal since we lost Primrose and is actually eating a bit better than initially now. And poo production is going very well!

It may be that there is a bit of fur in his ear canal or it could be ear mites or the start of an ear infection. Without examining the ear canal with an otoscope it’s impossible to say for certain x

Hmm might have to add to my first aid kit. Primrose once had something similar but she let me rub and check it and she just had a tiny bit of fluff that her feets didnt catch when scratching.

I think we'll call and possibly pop him to the vets, I'm guessing he's unlikely to be able to get the fur out himself if that's what it is?

Both mites and infections are drop treatments aren't they?

Still best to get sorted now, we're picking up his hopefully new bunwife on the 6th so wouldnt want any extra stress for the period.

Although he hates car rides so the vets is an ordeal for the poor thing. I really wish the ones 5 mins away had an exotic service.

Hmm might have to add to my first aid kit. Primrose once had something similar but she let me rub and check it and she just had a tiny bit of fluff that her feets didnt catch when scratching.

I think we'll call and possibly pop him to the vets, I'm guessing he's unlikely to be able to get the fur out himself if that's what it is?

Both mites and infections are drop treatments aren't they?

Still best to get sorted now, we're picking up his hopefully new bunwife on the 6th so wouldnt want any extra stress for the period.

Although he hates car rides so the vets is an ordeal for the poor thing. I really wish the ones 5 mins away had an exotic service.

Any fur in the ear canal may come out as Bunny scratches his/her ears or shakes his/her head. It may not though and the ear canal may need cleaning using a suitable ear cleaning solution ( on Veterinary advice only).

Treatment for ear mites may be a course of injections and ear drops

An actual ear infection would require both systemic and topical antibiotics and anti-inflammatories x

Back