• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Bald Spot!

Hi Everyone! :D
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a bunny balding problem.

My year old Cashmere Lop, Hutch, has developed 2 large bald patches
at the tops of his legs and hair doesn't seem to be growing back.

I brush and check him everyday, and he has no knots or lugs.

A few months ago, he had an operation to remove one of his eyes,
because of an infection. While he was recovering his fur seemed to lose it's good condtion and he found it hard to keep the knots in check.
I ended up brushing him through 2-3 times a day.
I don't know if this is anything to do with his problem.

Please Help! :roll:

hi iv got a mini cash and he had bald patches under his chin and inside i legs we think it was mites and gave him some ivomec but took along time to grown bk
becky

Oh hiya!

Nice to see you here! Have you done a bit of grooming lately in that particular spot recently? As sometimes "overgrooming" so to speak can cause bald patches to appear. If it is due to "overgrooming" - it should grow back over time. How long have these bald patches been there? Is there any flakiness? If so, as Becky has stated it could be mites - take him to the vets to make sure.

Clare

Hello and welcome!

I think I read that this bunn lives with a GP? Where I got one of my bunns from had GPs living with Bunns and the GPs were bites/nipping the bunns fur. Could it be that?

Thankyous

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies...
A big hi to Clare :wave:

I haven't been grooming him too often, (I don't think) usually once a day.
I have noticed that some small patches are growing back,
but the fur is very dark...unlike him! ????
As bits grow back... his bald patch grows.

He does live with a guinea pig (starsky) but they are inseparable,
and have never seen them turn on each other.

I know some guinea pigs and bunnies don't get on..
(from experience of my other rabbit, Fawn who has a particular kung fu
move she uses on them)

Poor hutchley.... I'm glad he isn't image concious :bunny:

could the gp be over grooming ur rabbits and start to chew the fur as iv know rabiits over groom each other and end up chew in the fur away. is ur cash a adult or baby as adult cashes only really need grooming every weeks or every couple of days
becky

True Becky - if the guinea pig still lives with him - he could be giving him a "hairstyle" cavy style. As Becky has stated a correct coat on a cashmere lops shouldn't need a lot of grooming due to the guard hairs but a softer coat may need a lot more grooming.

Clare

Perhaps Piccies will help?......?

Hi all,
Thanks again for your replies.

I groom hutch daily because he has a very fine coat, but lots of it.
If it's neglected for more than a few days, it gets awfully matted.

Here are some piccies of his predicament.
I apologise if any of you find them icky.

DSCF0002.jpg

Does the hair break off easily/is it broken half way down the shaft in a circular pattern? Have you looked at the skin underneath is it flaky like dandruff (difficult to see under all that lovely hair ;) )? It could possibly be mites - usually brought on by stress.

Caz

Hmmm....

Hi there Caz,

Nope its not flakey, and I've never seen him scratch it.
As the dark hair grows back, the bald patch grows further

It gets stranger and stranger?

pawswalk.gif

It seems to me he is getting a new coat coming through in that piccie. I am glad it isn't flaky, as has been stated that could mean mites.

Clare

It does look very much like a moult. Some rabbits are odd and moult in waves. Is the patch moving downwards? Usually you'll see a line the gradually moves from the top of the hips downwwards towards the tail. The fur is very short as its just growing through. The line below is usually scruffy and if you brush or pluck at it oftenquite lose, particularly just below where the current short patch is.

You can see pictures of my bun moulting here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=418

The fur coming through often looks a funning colour because if you look at the rest of the fur on him you'll probably find its different colours along the length. With just the top grown through it looks very different.

If you look at this picture of Alfie moulting:

Pict0979a.jpg

You can just about see that the fur is brown at the tips and grey the rest of the way down. When it first comes through he gets black patches!

Tam

Back