• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lack of Single Does?

Emmy_Cabs

Young Bun
My 10 year old rabbit lost his partner last year. I keep going backwards and forwards about wether or not I want to keep rabbits after he has passed on. That being said, I seem to be looking for a partner for him daily.

That brings me on to my question - where are all the single Does? I’m in Berkshire and I am struggling to find any single, female buns in rescues nearby. Are they just in high demand? Or do the rescues instantly bond them to rehome as a pair?

Any thoughts?

We always struggle for single females and have a huge waiting list of people looking for one.

We seem to get lots of single males into rescue. One of my fosters had been with me nearly a year after being born in rescue despite the fact that hes small and cute and pretty. He was so desperately lonely so I adopted him myself to bond with existing pair.

Lots of people buy F-F pairs, thinking it's easier than getting any neutered.

Of course. I hadn’t thought of that. If only people realised there are important health benefits to spaying females!

My boy was bonded to another buck originally. What’s the likelihood of that working out again?!

I would give it a go with another boy. As long as both are neutered, I find it an easier bond. It also gives you more options.

I do aswell but some rescues are reluctant to try male/male intros as its often percieved to be more likely to break down in the future. Personally speaking my male only pairs/groups were the most stable so I'd happily try it for someone if the rescue asked me to.

Back