• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*Post Deleted*

It sounds like Fluffer's needs are being well thought out, and I hope the bonding goes well.

As for rabbits and dogs - I would keep them entirely separate. My rabbits have a separately fenced off part of the garden that the dogs never go in. Although mine are lurchers and would undoubtedly chase anything in the garden if the fancy took them (one objects to the blackbirds in his garden), I wouldn't trust any dog to have direct contact or share an unprotected space with rabbits - accidents happen. Rabbits are so easily spooked or injured that it is just not worth the risk.

My rabbits don't mind the dogs (mine or visiting dogs of various breeds) as long as they are safe behind the wire fence (or a baby gate if they are inside). They are not even bothered if they get barked at.

You need to watch out for other predators as well - cats, foxes, birds of prey, uninvited people, etc. - which is another good reason to have a safe area for the rabbits. Any time spent free ranging in the garden needs to be fully supervised.

It sounds like Fluffer's needs are being well thought out, and I hope the bonding goes well.

As for rabbits and dogs - I would keep them entirely separate. My rabbits have a separately fenced off part of the garden that the dogs never go in. Although mine are lurchers and would undoubtedly chase anything in the garden if the fancy took them (one objects to the blackbirds in his garden), I wouldn't trust any dog to have direct contact or share an unprotected space with rabbits - accidents happen. Rabbits are so easily spooked or injured that it is just not worth the risk.

My rabbits don't mind the dogs (mine or visiting dogs of various breeds) as long as they are safe behind the wire fence (or a baby gate if they are inside). They are not even bothered if they get barked at.

You need to watch out for other predators as well - cats, foxes, birds of prey, uninvited people, etc. - which is another good reason to have a safe area for the rabbits. Any time spent free ranging in the garden needs to be fully supervised.

I agree with all this. I think the important thing as well as dog proof accommodation is to make sure the rabbits can get somewhere completely away from the dogs so they know they are safe. Our 12 rescues are in sheds with attached runs and we introduced a puppy recently and each rabbit is reacting differently on the spectrum from fear to curiosity depending on their nature and also their previous experience of dogs. We have 2 who just aren't bothered, 2 who bolt away into their shed and the rest who are more curious than fearful. Being able to get well away from the dogs will give the rabbits some control over the situation and make the change easier as will having another bunny companion of course - good luck.

Back