• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nervous bunn

WonderBunn

Alpha Buck
My little Eamon (who isnt so little) is still as nervous as the day we got him. He spends all of his time with Thora and Anna as they are all bonded.

He is so nervous of human movement towards and even just around him (eg, if hes in the room and we move in our seat to get up) so I thought about bringing him inside (as they are in the hutch int he shed) on his own for a bit to see if he could have an explore on his own and see how he would react, would this be a good move or would he do better staying with the others??

Hes so lovely and I want him to be ok but I just want to see if he can come out of his shell a little.

Edit: Am I being mean? Will this cause him more stress or will he think 'Wooo' I got the place to myself? Or do I accept that thaats his way and his personality?

Just a thought, my Xena seemed really nervous to me until I realised she was deaf. Because she didn't hear me coming, when she finally saw me, she had the fright of her life every time!

Interesting point, I think he can hear because I move/knock something he shoots off and if the other bunns move or do something hes the same.

Is it something you can test at home?

Does he usually explore inside with the other two? If not then I think new people and new place might make him more nervous. Especially without the support of his two friends.

Have you tried sitting/lying on the floor near him and letting him explore on his own time. Bring a book or a newspaper and spend at least 20minutes there. You could also try giving him an old t-shirt you have slept in so he can get used to your smell.

Tam

Even when with the other 2 hes at the back, he kinda follows but never ventures as far as they do.

When they are all together and inside I sit with them on the floor but he rarely comes and sniffs me. May have to try the old t-shirt trick. Probably help them all get use to me even more.

There's no definite test for deafness, just things like clapping behind their head when you're sure they haven't seen you, or whistling (one of my buns will run h*ll for leather when I whistle, Xena just sits there.

But if he hears you approach or knock things over, he's most likely not deaf...

Here's a thought, maybe there's a Bach Flower Remedy which you could give him til he builds up his confidence, looks like he's just living on his nerves just now.

Fast Eddie lives in our lounge just now to try and get him used to various noises and movement. I don't suppose that would be an option for you though cos he needs to be with the others.

Ooo what does the remedy do for the bunns?

They will be indoors more once the Christmas tree has gone. Definately every evening (if I have my way!).

I am sat on the floor with my laptop at the moment in the pen, Thora and Anna come and nudge my feet but hes not bothered.

Ermmmmmmmmm, I'm not too 'up' on the flower remedies, but I use rescue remedy prior to taking buns to vets, after vets, before delivery for rehoming, really any stressful situation. I use it for myself too :roll: :wink:

Dorothy might be able to give you some advice on which ones would be appropriate and you can also search the net too.

Rescue Remedy got me through my exams at school when I was 18...good stuff! I've not used it on animals, but recommend it from personal use!

A friend of mine gives rescue remedy to her lab dog around firework time, it works wonders for him too, sooooooo much more relaxed!

I use it for me when one of my buns goes to be rehomed :oops: and if one of my buns goes to the bridge, it means I can hold coherent conversations with people like the vet, Jim, mum, friends ......... :roll: I get in an awful state sometimes :oops:

Never heard or used it before. Shows how shelted I am. May get some in for myself anyway. You never know whats around the corner.

Blueberry was given rescue remedy before I took her home. I 've not used it myself but I think I'll look into it in view of vets trips, especially for Brian who is a nervous bunny.
He's really come on though, he'll explore everywhere and even jumped onto the sofa the other night which totally shocked me :lol:
He's a funny thing though, if ANYONE is sitting near him with any bare flesh he licks you to death!! but will NOT let anyone stroke him, not even a nose rub :( try to stroke him he runs off, but will then come straight back and start licking you again :roll:

Back