• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you do???

Floppylop

Young Bun
I purchased a pair of Dble maned lops and buck and sow, the sow was quite a bit bigger than the male th she was only a week older, they were apporx 10 /11 weeks when I got them and I housed them alongside each other with a partition , so they would have company. The male was a rew and did a lot of 'scanning' which seemed weird, but someone explained it was common so I accepted it, I also noticed the male did a lot of running in small circles(no sign of head tilt or problems) due to the closeness of the doe I thought maybe his hormones were kicking in .

Anyway sadly over a period of month I realised I was struggling with them as I had developed an allergy too the fine coats (I was grooming regularly) and decided that I had to rehome them , very reluctantly. When the lady collected the two, the boy had a slight eye discharge, which I put down to the recent dusty hay I had acquired and thought little of it .
They went away to their new home, however the eye got worse, and the the lady said he was acting peculiar running in circles and she felt he was a bit odd, even saying she wasnt sure he was a healthy bunny, she got me thinking about my earliest concerns. The upshot is she wants me to have him back, and as I sold him I feel obliged to honour that, also I need to know he is okay, but now I am wondering about the breeder I shall tell her of my concerns, but I know she will say 'he was fine when he was here' maybe I should have got back to her sooner, but I really thought he was just being a 'boy'.....now I wonder if someone else has noticed what she considers odd behaviour. Having said that she has a neutered bunny which would presumably behave differently.
Now I am concerned he will come back, and yes have something wrong with him, and I will be stuck with my allergy to this long hair and a bunny I cant rehome.....what would you do please,any ideas?

Last edited:
I purchased a pair of Dble maned lops and buck and sow, the sow was quite a bit bigger than the male th she was only a week older, they were apporx 10 /11 weeks when I got them and I housed them alongside each other with a partition , so they would have company. The male was a rew and did a lot of 'scanning' which seemed weird, but someone explained it was common so I accepted it, I also noticed the male did a lot of running in small circles(no sign of head tilt or problems) due to the closeness of the doe I thought maybe his hormones were kicking in .

Anyway sadly over a period of month I realised I was struggling with them as I had developed an allergy too the fine coats (I was grooming regularly) and decided that I had to rehome them , very reluctantly. When the lady collected the two, the boy had a slight eye discharge, which I put down to the recent dusty hay I had acquired and thought little of it .
They went away to their new home, however the eye got worse, and the the lady said he was acting peculiar running in circles and she felt he was a bit odd, even saying she wasnt sure he was a healthy bunny, she got me thinking about my earliest concerns. The upshot is she wants me to have him back, and as I sold him I feel obliged to honour that, also I need to know he is okay, but now I am wondering about the breeder I shall tell her of my concerns, but I know she will say 'he was fine when he was here' maybe I should have got back to her sooner, but I really thought he was just being a 'boy'.....now I wonder if someone else has noticed what she considers odd behaviour. Having said that she has a neutered bunny which would presumably behave differently.
Now I am concerned he will come back, and yes have something wrong with him, and I will be stuck with my allergy to this long hair and a bunny I cant rehome.....what would you do please,any ideas?

Get a Vet to check the Rabbit over ASAP

I agree with above I wouldn't make any decisions until he has seen a vet, which it sounds like he needs to see one urgently. Will the new owner not keep him depending on the outcome from a vet?

Agree - get him seen by a vet.

Both rabbits also need vaccinating against myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2, which is also a good reason to book him in at the vet. There is a new vaccine available that covers all 3 together, otherwise it is 2 vaccinations with a 2 week gap between. The boy is probably old enough to neuter now as well, which will stop unwanted pregnancy and allow him to be bonded with a partner later. Un-neutered rabbits will most likely fight, causing some nasty injuries. A pair of neutered rabbits will live happily together once hormone levels have reduced.

Neutering & vaccinating will also give him a better chance of a good home, if you are not keeping him.

If the vet check shows that there is an issue from when he was born (or from a transmittable disease), then a responsible breeder would want to know so that they do not breed from that line again (or check out their other rabbits and treat them if needed). He should certainly not be used for breeding from while there are issues with his health.

update oh dear

Get a Vet to check the Rabbit over ASAP
Well I got the buck back and he is a mess, ( I was a bit angry with the new owner for not going straight to the vet) is circling, much worse than he was, falling over, head tilt, bumping into things....off to the vets, cant believe how he has got to this in a week, anyway been to the vet, she thinks inner ear parasite issues so Panacur and Baytril etc....I realise now is 'strange' behaviour had more sinister causes, ......told the breeder, gently reminding her that I queried his behaviour within a day or two of getting him, literally, but of course she says he was well when she sold him, but I think this issue was brooding then, hence his behaviour....wonder if selling him and the stress has exacerbated the situation, anyway £80 lighter just hope he gets better and that I can manage the silly Panacur syringe, cant stop the silly stuff shooting out....must try something different

I'm sorry he's in such a bad way but glad he's been seen medically. It sounds like EC which is a parasite (the other option is an ear infection which the antibiotics are prescribed for) I feed panacur on a food for ease - salad leaf, shreddie, whatever I know they will eat. I hope the breeder has heeded your warning but it dooesn't sound like they are taking any responsibility. Shame as EC is shed easily in urine spores & so transmitted easily. She really should be treating all rabbits in her care. Its common for it to be passed from mother to their kits. You're right about it being brought on by emotional or physical stress.

I hope your bunny recovers. Do ask if you need help with his care - many of us have experience with headtilt buns sadly

Back