• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weening problems

WonderBunn

Alpha Buck
Hello all,

My new bunn Squishie is on GP food as thats what she was fed at the pet shop so I got some burgess dwarf and junior food to give her. Started mixing it in and changing the quantities slightly but she seems to still selective feed and pick out the GP food and leave the pellets. Even when its the only thing on offer she doesnt appear to touch it.

Any ideas for this little ackward bunn??

When i changed my rabbit over to a new food he ate the new food rather than the one he was on before. I just did what is suggested and gradually increased the amount of the new food over a few weeks. Maybe give him less food so that he is more likely to empty his bowl. The question is will he eat it when its all he will get given? What sort of GP food was he on? pellets or mix?

Its not pellets, its mix, got bits of allsorts in it. Would it be better to ween her onto a mixed bunny food as I have some bunny brunch that she could eat.

Even when it was the littlest amount she didnt seem to eat it then.

That's funny Violet was on a bunny brunch style when I got her, when I was weaning her over she selectively ate the Burgess and left her original food till last. Buns ay! They just pick and choose to worry us! I would persevere offering her less of the original eventually she will eat the Burgess. If she appears to be losing weight I would stop but as long as there are plenty of veggies and hay she should be fine!

Caz

Shes piling the weight on, she was only tiny when we got her, have to post a before and after tomorrow when I get chance!

Shes addicted to cabbage, if I put any in her pen she has to eat it all there and then!! And she eats hays.

I will just keep giving her a mix maybe as she gets older she may want a change.

As you say Caz - buns ay!

Some rabbits REALLY don't like Excel...perhaps you should give another concentrated pellet a go? SS perhaps?

I was lucky that my girls like the Excel more than the RR they were on at the shop...:)

I feed all my rabbits on a complete pellet so they cannot pick and choose. Unless they are young i change them over immideatley the pellits are usualy lower in protine so does not cause tummy problems, im afraid the best way is to be tough and only give the complete, giving them both takes forever or not at all. Even up to 2 wks of not eating them[ providing they are eating hay] they WILL come round they will not starve themselves to death. I would not recoment it to everone but im confident enough to put youy ones on to complete food overnight cos ive never had a problem because its so bland. The vast majority of rabbit foods are not ideal and are full of things that are two rich for them, then there is all the colourings in it [bad for rabbits]. Rabbits in the wild live on a very poor diet they dont need lots os protinesand cloourings. Good quality hay a few veggies and a small amout of complete pellit will do them fine. Measure out the food so you do not over feed, an overweight rabbit is a unhappy and unheathy one. val

Thanks for the advice all. Can always count on you guys!! :D

Shes only young so at the moment growing up very quickly! Shes eating hay and I give her cabbage so I will carry on. May try her for a night with only the pellets and plenty of hay. See if she touches it or just throws it around her pen lol

Messy tinkers arent they!!

Thanks once again, hate being a pain asking loads of things.

Back