• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Needed !

Mikeymoo

Mama Doe
This morning my partner was sat giving Mikey a cuddle and noticed a scabby patch on his side. It seemed to be a bit sore.
How could this have happened? He is the only rabbit we have. I called my Dad and he suggested that it may be due to boredam, but whenever we're home Mikey has run of the downstairs and has plenty of toys to keep him occupied when we arent there.

Any ideas?

hi could it me mites if the skin looks flaky, they can get mites from hay or straw. the vet can give injections to get rid of them.
eve xxx

Im not sure that it is mites. The fur was missing and it didnt look bald more scabby. So im not sure what it is

Mikeymoo said:
Im not sure that it is mites. The fur was missing and it didnt look bald more scabby. So im not sure what it is

i think i would be inclined to check him out at the vets!!!!

Is it scabby with red/black bits like a human scab where there has been a wound?

Or is it more like huge flakes of crusty skin, whitey-grey in colour flaking off like sunburnt skin with a sort of red, raw looking patch of skin underneath? This sort of scabbing is mites.

I know as Zeus had them, apparently they are often present in small numbers on a rabbit but when they get stressed the mites multiply out of control and cause intense itching and flaking of the skin. The hair in these raw areas breaks off half way down and you get little tufts of short hair amongst the normal hair.

When Zeus' eye problem flaired up we had booked a weekend away so my mother-in-law came over to give Zeus his medication, at the same time my dad started the building works on our bathroom. The vet reckoned the combination of his immune system fighting the eye infection, the stress of us going away and my mother-in-law and father turning up (strangers) probably stressed our rather delicate, pedigree 8kg giant of a wimp and out came the mites!

When we got back the first indication was his mood, he wouldn't let us near him and acted really surley snapping at us as we passed - we thought he was annoyed at being left so tried to fuss him but he kept away from us, eventually we grabbed him and checking him over that was when we spotted the problem. It took three ivomectin injections to clear in the end as it was quite bad.

I rang the vet about it a couple of days prior but they couldn't understand what I was trying to describe, as soon as she saw him though she was able to diagnose it so I would def. pop your bunny along if you are concerned!

Caz

Def get him checked out by the vet but my bunny had something similar two years running.
He had a bald patch which was scabby as well, i took him to the vet who gave him t/ment for mites but he thought it was more likely that he had either injured himself or was bored and had plucked the fur out then scratched it.
It healed up and all was well until the next year when he got another bald patch again!!!

This time i wasn't too concerned as he had had it before and it looked smaller than last time :) , this year no problems at all!!!

I just made sure i bought him lots of toys to keep him busy while i was at work in case he got bored
(although i'm slowly working on the boyfriend for another bunny either that or a baby!!!!!) :p

Back