• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Lovely Richard Died

Clare Green

Young Bun
Sadly my lovely lop rabbit died on Wednesday totally unexpectedly. He was generally out in the garden for a few hours in the day and then brought in to our house at night where he either was in his hutch or running round the house. When I went out to get him in on Wednesday he was just sat up the back of the garden, not moving and his breathing was really laboured. We took him straight to the vets but had to wait as the vet was late. It was so horrible, I had him in his box on my lap in the waiting room and he suddenly started going wild, screaming really loudly and throwing himself against the front of the box. We got him out the box and my boyfriend held him and then put him on the vets table where he died. It was so heart breaking. The worst thing is the thought of him being in pain. When the vet finally arrived he confirmed Richard was dead. We asked him what could have caused it but he said he didn't know and the only way they could find out would be an autopsy. I just wanted to take Richard home not have him cut up as it doesn't bring him back. I buried him in our garden in his favourite spot. I miss him so very much it aches.

I don't understand why it happened as he was in good health when I put him out. When we got him in he was breathing really heavy and was slightly wet under the nose. He had been vaccinated about a month ago for myxo and vhd. I don't think he would have been attacked by a cat as he was very bollshy and not scared of them in the slightest. No other animals could have got to him as our garden has a very high wall all the way round and is toally secure. I don't know exactly how old he was as we got him from our local RSPCA centre. Can anyone give me any ideas what it could have been as I want to know if it could have been prevented.

roo2.gif

I have not much experience with bunnies as i only have my one but could it be possible he ate a plant that he shouldn't have?

Rabbits are not well made and tend to have lots of problems which seem to come on very fast and are difficult to treat.

My heart goes out to you as i know if my and when my Skip crosses over that i will need time off work due to traumatic stress as i will lose it. :cry:

He may as well be my child for all the love i feel for him there is no difference [-o<

Dear Clare,

That is so awful and for you to witness it as well. Sounds like he had a great quality of life when he was alive. Can't help you with the possible cause of death, will leave that to the experts but just wanted to pass on my sympathy.

Take care

It sounds to me like maybe he had a heart attack, but without doing an autopsy, no one can be sure. He could have eaten something bad, as linnyloo said, but that wouldn't directly affect his breathing, really, in the way you described...

I'm sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is. You did all you could, taking him to the vets straight away (if you read through the boards, you'll see we've had the occasional go at someone who hasn't done what you did). Rabbits often die quite suddenly. As they're prey animals, they will hide any problem they're having as long as they can, because, in the wild, a predator picks up on any weakness in it's prey, and goes for it.

It's good to have you with us!

Oh Clare..what a shame about your baby and what a bad time of the year. Every body seeming so happy and all you wnat to do is cry. We have all been there so know exactly how you feel.. I have no advice to give but just to say we are here for you ':love:'

Clare

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Richard looks like he was a lovely bunny.

Thinking of you :(

Thank you all for your replys. I am just trying to think of all the good times he had rather than how it all ended. He was a very happy rabbit and we spoiled him rotten. Rabbits are such special little creatures.

Oh Clare, I was so sorry to hear about your Richard. There will be no way to find out what was really wrong with him without a post mortem, but I totally respect that you didn't want that for your baby.

You mustn't beat yourself up about this, these things happen all too often with our fragile buns, and sometimes there has been something going on inside them that no one knows about - something no one can have done anything about.

What a lovely life you gave him - what a happy boy he was with you :) He was so lucky to have found you. God bless you Richard - run free....

I'm so sorry to hear bout your bunny Richard. It sounds like he had a lovely life and he had his mummy there at the end. Remember all the good times you had with him.

Take care

Nicola

Hiya Clare

I was sorry to hear about your lovely Bunny Richard - but it sounds as though he had a lovely home with you and was loved and pampered - just as a bunny should be.

I feel for you to in that his passing wasn't peaceful and this is obviously on your mind at the moment but in time hopefully you will remember the lovely times you had with Richard and I'm sure he knew his brave mum was with him when passing to the Bridge.

Thinking of you.

I am really sorry about your wee bunny.

I know the end wasn't what you had wanted but believe me it is never easy.

Try to think about all the happy times you had - I am sure Richard is telling all the bunnies in heaven what a lvoely mum he had.

lol Pam, Aggie, Pie, Mash & Twinkle

Back