• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to Distinguish One Bunny from Another

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I have 2 boys (twins :)) in for neutering on Tuesday, Charlie and Archie. They live separately. Charlie is a lovely boy and I want him to live with Daisy, Archie is not as nice so he will be living with Pandora. The problem is they look alike and I am really worried they will get mixed up when at the Vets. I don't think they keep them in their Pet Carriers, so does anyone know how I can ensure which one is which. I originally was going to have them neutered on separate days but because of the restrictions the Vets want to do them at the same time. This in itself is a bit worrying, mainly as I don't know any of the Vets now as all my favs have left. Even the main Vet has gone as he retired. Maybe they have some kind of dye there that they could put on one of them?

Yes I can understand your worry Tonibun, could you or they just shave a bit of fur off the back of one their ears maybe ? As long as you know which one is done !

Clip nails on one foot (eg left on one, right on other rabbit), nail varnish or permanent marker pen of different colours on back feet nails, permanent marker pen pen inside ear or on body fur, gentian violet on different part of body (eg one above tail, one on shoulders)? I would mark both rabbits, however you choose - so you will have a positive form of ID of one fails for any reason. Shaving part of the ear is ok unless your vet administers fluids etc via the ear vein, as they may shave it.

Good luck. Many years ago I had Amigo and Bonita and for years I mixed them up unless I looked very closely. Perhaps some food coloring on their fur would help you to ID hem temporarily.
I did not have that problem with my last two littermates because they came to me with tattoos in their ears and soon afterward they changed enough to tell them apart.

I marked the inside fur of the ear on Pickle with a sharpie pen so I could tell them apart when I first got them. Now I can tell by personality. Hope the neutering goes/went okay x

I decided to cut Archie's nails, being young they are very sharp, so Charlie's should be sharper. If that makes sense:roll:

Makes perfect sense to me! I’ve since discovered that although they are pretty identical and have dark claws, Pickle however has a mix of dark and light claws on his front feet!
Hope all goes well with them. The vets should take reasonable steps to ensure that their identities are retained.

Back