• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does anybun have wonky toes?

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Mousey's toes are terrible on her front feet, they splay in every possible direction. Her vet commented on how bad they are, yet also saying its not unusual for an elder bun with mobility issues.

My Google skills are failing - all I can find is toe injuries. So I thought I'd ask if any rabbits on here have the same issue

Jasmine's are really bad on her back feet, she is coming up to 6 but has been like that since I adopted her. Vet was shocked at them during a nail clip at a vaccine but never really commented on if they'd affect her

Jasmine's are really bad on her back feet, she is coming up to 6 but has been like that since I adopted her. Vet was shocked at them during a nail clip at a vaccine but never really commented on if they'd affect her

interesting. Thanks Liz. Mouseys have always been bad too (well she was 3-4+ years when we adopted her 5 years ago). Will you get chance to explore what its implications are at work?

Tethra's are on his front feet as well. They've been like it for at least a couple of years.

Tethra's are on his front feet as well. They've been like it for at least a couple of years.

i didn't know your boy was in the wonky toe club - have you ever discussed what it means or do you know implications?

I've just taken some photos of Mousey's I'll upload

I am not sure about actual wonky toes but certainly claws. Artie had a claw on his back foot that was really difficult to clip but needed to be kept short as it stuck upwards, pretty much vertical and would have been easy to catch. Interestingly (maybe?) Twigs once mentioned that was something she had observed with older bunnies who had had EC.. which was the case with Artie. Weirdly enough, Arthur has a claw that is similar on the same foot.

I don't think she was keen on having these taken, lots of head bobbing to prevent her identity being revealed:lol: but you can see her toes I hope

ckGwJCyl.jpg

282TiMOl.jpg

I am not sure about actual wonky toes but certainly claws. Artie had a claw on his back foot that was really difficult to clip but needed to be kept short as it stuck upwards, pretty much vertical and would have been easy to catch. Interestingly (maybe?) Twigs once mentioned that was something she had observed with older bunnies who had had EC.. which was the case with Artie. Weirdly enough, Arthur has a claw that is similar on the same foot.

this is her toes :shock: I came across toe nails at weird growing angles when I was Googling though. Very interesting. Twigs observation was about nails not toes?

this is her toes :shock: I came across toe nails at weird growing angles when I was Googling though. Very interesting. Twigs observation was about nails not toes?

Yes, I didn't explain myself very well - I meant I had noticed claws but it could actually be toes but that I hadn't actually registered that aspect. I am pretty sure Twigs' observation was 'just' claws. I did discuss the claws/EC thing with Frances, she found it an interesting observation but didn't have anything to suggest re cause and effect etc.

Last edited:
Yes, I didn't explain myself very well - I meant I had noticed claws but it could actually be toes but that I hadn't actually registered that aspect. I am pretty sure Twigs' observation was 'just' claws. I did discuss the claws/EC thing with Frances, she found it an interesting observation but didn't have anything to suggest re cause and effect etc.

I was about to say thats a relief as her claws are normal but since she has EC anyway (not active for many years AFAIK) I don't suppose it matters

i didn't know your boy was in the wonky toe club - have you ever discussed what it means or do you know implications?

I've just taken some photos of Mousey's I'll upload

I'll have a good look at Tethra's feetsies today to see whether it's claws or toes. I suspect it might be claws. It's very noticeable on him though, as being a Rex, there's not much fur covering. Never discussed what it means with a vet. I suspect that it can't be the optimum for balance.

Only Lopsy's 'loose' toe: 20% of the time it's normal and the rest of the time it's like it's not attached. But it must be, it grows a normal claw which gets worn down normally (or maybe he bites it off, I dunno, he bites the matts off his back feet...)and he doesn't like it being touched same as the rest of his foot, plus vet felt there was nothing wrong with it. I suspect it might be a very old break that's healed weirdly. I doubt that's the case for Mouse.

Well it appears that it's Tethra's toes just on his front feet. Also unexpectedly it seems that they are not set in that position, so it must be how he holds them sometimes. They are usually wonky, but not always the same pattern of wonkiness :)

Well it appears that it's Tethra's toes just on his front feet. Also unexpectedly it seems that they are not set in that position, so it must be how he holds them sometimes. They are usually wonky, but not always the same pattern of wonkiness :)

interesting! wonder if that's the case for Mouse - hers are fur covered so difficult to assess hands off.

I really want to know what its all about. I'd say I'd ask Ruth when she returns but I'll no doubt have dozens of need to know rabbit ponderings by then

Only Lopsy's 'loose' toe: 20% of the time it's normal and the rest of the time it's like it's not attached. But it must be, it grows a normal claw which gets worn down normally (or maybe he bites it off, I dunno, he bites the matts off his back feet...)and he doesn't like it being touched same as the rest of his foot, plus vet felt there was nothing wrong with it. I suspect it might be a very old break that's healed weirdly. I doubt that's the case for Mouse.

Brave Lopsy - that does sound likely. Yeah I certainly hope its not caused Mouseys, unlikely all her toes would be broken & we'd not notice

Jelly has a toe that sticks up on her back foot. It doesn’t seem to bother her at all, I just assumed it was an old break possibly from before I got her. The vets never commented on it so I’ve never thought much about it

With Jasmine it's like every back toe in itself has several bends/feels all 'knobbly'. They don't stick up, the nails are very brittle and a couple don't grow at all. Vets at work seemed stumped when I asked!!

I remember FHB using the toes to give an approximate age of a rabbit - they tend to start going a bit wonky around a certain age (can't remember what it was), so you could say the bun was under or over that age. So perfectly straight toes would indicate a younger adult.

Good you got to check it out Liz - even if answers weren't forthcoming

Thats interesting Shimmer - love any words from FHB. Try & remember what age. Must only be a guide though, Joey is 9 & I think his are perfect ...off to check neglected upstairs buns (think I might have seen Boo's looking less than 10 out of 10)

I'm in their bad books for disrupting sleepy time ..anyhow to my untrained eye J&B toes look fine to me

Back