• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with orphaned wild bunny

mummybear

New Kit
Hi,
I'm new here and could really do with some advice please as I am a complete rabbit novice, but doing my best! For the last week I have been hand rearing some orphaned baby rabbits (I could not find anyone who would take them on) Sadly only one now survives but is looking quite fit and well. The problem is that it seems to miss the others quite badly and looks lost now it doesn't have the others to snuggle up with. I have made it as warm and cosy as possible but when I tend to it, he/she trys to get into my hands to be fussed. I have been trying not to handle them more than neccessary as they were going to be released back into the wild, but now the others are gone it seems the remaining one is desperate for contact. It's making me sad to see. I think it is about 14+ days old.
I have 2 questions: Should it be released into the wild when appropriate as it is a single hand reared rabbit? Secondly if it is better to keep it as a pet should I now get a young domestic rabbit to keep it company - or is this a complete no-no? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I desperately want to do the right thing. Thankyou.

Ah, sorry, I've put this in the wrong part of the forum. I don't know forums very well. My son says a moderator might be able to move it to the right place. Could someone do that please?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum. Firstly well done on rescuing and hand rearing the little orphan bunnies, and sorry to hear that 2 didn't survive. I can't really offer any advice, as I have never hand reared a youngster, let alone a wildie. I do know that others on here have raised and kept a wildie as a pet, so I'm sure someone else will be able to help you further. Good luck with the little bunny, and again well done for giving them a chance.

I'm sure you'll get replies by morning, its not anything I know of but as Petsmum days there are several members with experience. My feeling is that releasing back in to the wild wouldn't be an option. You can certainly bond hand reared wild rabbits with domestic ones but I honestly don't know about time frames - I think it'd be a longer term option just because most buns will be with their mums til about 12 (I think) weeks. S/he is likely to be lively & need lots of space. Hand reared bunnies from what I've read can develop an incredible bond with you - they seem to live long lives too.

As has already been suggested, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along later or tomorrow. Can I suggest you (or your son [emoji6]) have a search on here for rearing wildies, the question will have been asked before and it might give you some answers slightly quicker
Good luck with him/her
Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Hi,
I'm new here and could really do with some advice please as I am a complete rabbit novice, but doing my best! For the last week I have been hand rearing some orphaned baby rabbits (I could not find anyone who would take them on) Sadly only one now survives but is looking quite fit and well. The problem is that it seems to miss the others quite badly and looks lost now it doesn't have the others to snuggle up with. I have made it as warm and cosy as possible but when I tend to it, he/she trys to get into my hands to be fussed. I have been trying not to handle them more than neccessary as they were going to be released back into the wild, but now the others are gone it seems the remaining one is desperate for contact. It's making me sad to see. I think it is about 14+ days old.
I have 2 questions: Should it be released into the wild when appropriate as it is a single hand reared rabbit? Secondly if it is better to keep it as a pet should I now get a young domestic rabbit to keep it company - or is this a complete no-no? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I desperately want to do the right thing. Thankyou.

Ah, sorry, I've put this in the wrong part of the forum. I don't know forums very well. My son says a moderator might be able to move it to the right place. Could someone do that please?
dear mummybear,--wildy,s-having reaed a cottontail,-it requires quite a bit of 24x7 mothering,--if he is eating grasses,eating pellets,treats,h2o--you are ahead of the game.-if not-[eyes closed] he will require kitten formula milk,until able to eat on his own.--I love this topic,but my disabilities have gotten the best of me,,.here is a link that should be of some value www.therabbithouse.comm www.bunnyhugga.com http://www.medirabbit.com dr.ester van pragg-phd-very helpful http://www.thesprucepets.com I will be watching as best I can..-sincerely james waller from the other kent usa

Back