• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grooming brush recommendations

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Mousey is having a huge moult - normally she is very minimal in this department. She has quite long fur for a short haired rabbit, not a particularly dense undercoat . Currently I'm teasing some loose clumps out with my fingers & using a toothbrush :lol:

Can anyone recommend a gentle but effective brush please?

a lot seem to like the zoom groom - personally I found it useless on rex fur (but most is lol). I use a soft bristle brush from PAH: https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-small-animal-grooming-bristle-brush

never had a rexy rabbit but she prob has opposite of rexy fur. I have a brush like that - I'll retry her but don't think it got us anywhere previously.

I bet all rabbits have different brush as well as brushing requirements - fickle beasts

Mousey is having a huge moult - normally she is very minimal in this department. She has quite long fur for a short haired rabbit, not a particularly dense undercoat . Currently I'm teasing some loose clumps out with my fingers & using a toothbrush :lol:

Can anyone recommend a gentle but effective brush please?

Hopefully an old one :lol: mine (rabbit hair brush, not toothbrush :lol) is an ancient cat one with short fine metal teeth. Sorry, not much help!

Zoobec;7170665[B said:
]Hopefully an old one :lol[/B]: mine (rabbit hair brush, not toothbrush :lol) is an ancient cat one with short fine metal teeth. Sorry, not much help!

don't worry I wouldn't inflict my toothbrush on mouseypie fur :lol:

I use an old hairbrush :oops: I clean it our with a puppy brush, which Lopsy likes having his head scrubbed with (he loves his head being scrubbed as rough as possible :D). Chibbs has 'ziggurat moult' right now, she's got such long winter fur it's standing out in a huge step around her rear end, with a second, half-size step a few inches futher 'up', out from her true summer coat. Lopsy halo-moults, he gets a round set of pale fluffs that migrate down in the same pattern to his tail. Chibbs has stopped clumping though, I can't get a bunny's-worth of fluff out of her in 5mins anymore.

never had a rexy rabbit but she prob has opposite of rexy fur. I have a brush like that - I'll retry her but don't think it got us anywhere previously.

I bet all rabbits have different brush as well as brushing requirements - fickle beasts

yea, everybody raves about them being excellent for rabbits and I found it more efficient to pluck the hairs out myself! def don't work with us lol. if the tooth brush works a soft bristle brush should work as its essentially the same.

oh they are, each rabbit needs something different. soft bristle brush as been the best so far for both of them - orion is easier to groom as his coat isn't as fluffy (altho still very plush). in warmer weather I simply just get wet hands to pull the fluff out.

I use a fine toothed plastic comb as found none of the brushes really worked and Lilac HATES being brushed for anything more than about 30 seconds.

I use the wider side of this and lift up a bit of fur with one hand and then groom the fur from the underneath down if that makes sense. Definitely gets the moult out here.

Back