• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits sneezing

mismatchbunnies

Warren Scout
In regards to my previous posts, my two rabbits (one in particular) developed sneezing. One with discharge, one seemingly without. Both were put on a course of baytril for 5 days for suspected snuffles (I know, much shorter than recommended), as there was no improvement from one rabbit (the one with discharge) we took them both back and the one who hadn’t improved was given loxicom (metacam) and this seemed to pretty much almost resolve almost completely (the other rabbit was given nothing as symptoms seemed to improve). The vet we saw the second time (different vet) seemed to think it could be that he had got some dust stuck in his nose (likely from hay which we have changed since), as there was only discharge from the right nostril, causing the nasal passage to become enflamed (which could possibly explain why taking loxicom reduced symptoms). However, we’ve now finished the course and it’s about 3 days later and the sneezing is coming back slowly in the one who had discharge and there is some snot. I also think the other rabbit (without discharge originally) is also producing a very small amount of white snot from what I’ve seen and she’s had one sneezing fit, but she cleans herself well so it isn’t very obvious. I rang the vet this morning and he recommended waiting for it to develop enough so there is enough snot to get a nasal swab/sample (unsedated). But I’ve been told these often aren’t accurate and that would also mean waiting for results, and being without further treatment for another week at least most likely. I’m not comfortable with the idea of waiting so long without further treatment as I am aware that if it is snuffles that it can spread quickly if this is what it is. Can snuffles even just occur in one nostril? This has been going on for nearly 3 weeks now, although there obviously has been intervention in this time. From the exams both rabbits have had, their lungs and other vitals etc. sound clear. Teeth of one rabbit were also checked due to small spurs but vet said it was nothing to worry about yet (possible intervention needed in future) but they were not sharp or long enough to be causing ulcers or cuts in her mouth. However, from what I’ve seen she does seem to be drinking a little more than usual (still within the average water intake given her weight though) and this could just be me being hyper aware and overanalysing everything as I’m with them for most of the day at the moment.

Any help appreciated.

Back