• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 baby kits died

Salann

New Kit
We had a surprise litter of kits born 2 weeks ago. We had rescued the doe only 3 days before. All was going ok, one of them seems to be a runt, so I have been supplement feeding him and is weight is increasing.
The mother wasn’t too well 2 days ago, she seemed to be in pain, had a bit of a temperature, off her food, so we took her to a vet, as I was thinking mastitis, her breasts felt a bit lumpy. He said he wasn’t sure (not a rabbit savvy vet) didn’t really want to give her antibiotics as she was nursing. So I took her home and gave her plenty of fluids, cooked her down and by morning she seemed a lot better. Eating again.
But this morning I went in to see them and 2 kits were out of the box and dead. Now I don’t know if it’s anything to do with her illness, or if they were suffocated by mum, as the ones in the nest seem ok. She is in an indoor cage, inside. There isn’t a lot of room for her particularly, as the nesting box is in, but she has a shelf to jump on to get away.
So I was wondering if they got trampled on by mum. Do they do this? Any thoughts, as I am upset and want to try and prevent whatever happened from happening again. Thanks.

Yes, they can trample babies, especially if they get scared or are feeling pain. She also needs room to hop. However young kits are vulnerable to gut issues, so they may not have been well.
You need a vet that knows rabbits.
I hope your remaining kits and your doe are doing ok.
My Raven and his sibling were born at a rescue three days after the rescue obtained his mom from an auction. How many babies did your doe birth.?

Last edited:
Sometimes kits get dragged from the nest if they remain latched on when the Doe hops out. The kits then die of hypothermia :cry: I am sorry for your losses :cry:

The doe had 6 rabbits. So we took her to another vets today, who said the mother looked ok and the babies were checked and at the time they were not too bad, although one was a little lethargic. The vet checked her milk under a microscope for bacteria and said that was fine, but since coming home this evening 2 more became very ill and died. So now I am thinking, they didn’t get trampled on but something else is wrong. I was wondering whatever mum had the other day, maybe the babies now have and although she seemed to fight it off, they are too young to do so. I now have 2 kits left, have removed them from their nesting box and made a clean new one and taken them away from mum to hand feed until, I can speak with the vet in the morning.
Anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

Back