• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling Guilty - Okay for short term?

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
I have 2 guinea pigs and 1 bunny left after a mink had killed my other 2 bunnies. The ones that were killed were living in a dog kennel with that chain fencing. My other pets thankfully were spared because the wire mesh on their hutches were too small for the mink to get in, although it tried digging under, I had put wire there too thank goodness.

My single bunny won't bond ever since her partner passed away. She is bonded to me but I can't house her inside because of asthma and allergies, even on high doses of meds. She also loves to be outside as it is familiar.

This is probably a dumb thing to be worried about but I just need to write it down and see what everyone thinks.

So we have a shed that is 10 feet by 12 feet and my husband was in the process of redoing it with proper insulation and making sure there are no holes and reinforcing any wood that is rotting. Its quite old. So because of this I had everyone in hutches outside, but since I've been home so much due to Covid they have all been getting out twice a day for a run.

I have to go away to help clear my Dads house out as he passed away in March. I'll be gone 10 days so they won't be able to exercise. I have a friend checking on them once per day but she isn't comfortable letting them out especially now we know there is a mink around.

I feel so guilty that they will be all locked up even though I know its for their own safety.

When we come back we are finishing the shed so my bunny can free range in there again. The pigs cages are big so its mostly my bunny I feel bad about.

Sorry this is so long.

I have 2 guinea pigs and 1 bunny left after a mink had killed my other 2 bunnies. The ones that were killed were living in a dog kennel with that chain fencing. My other pets thankfully were spared because the wire mesh on their hutches were too small for the mink to get in, although it tried digging under, I had put wire there too thank goodness.

My single bunny won't bond ever since her partner passed away. She is bonded to me but I can't house her inside because of asthma and allergies, even on high doses of meds. She also loves to be outside as it is familiar.

This is probably a dumb thing to be worried about but I just need to write it down and see what everyone thinks.

So we have a shed that is 10 feet by 12 feet and my husband was in the process of redoing it with proper insulation and making sure there are no holes and reinforcing any wood that is rotting. Its quite old. So because of this I had everyone in hutches outside, but since I've been home so much due to Covid they have all been getting out twice a day for a run.

I have to go away to help clear my Dads house out as he passed away in March. I'll be gone 10 days so they won't be able to exercise. I have a friend checking on them once per day but she isn't comfortable letting them out especially now we know there is a mink around.

I feel so guilty that they will be all locked up even though I know its for their own safety.

When we come back we are finishing the shed so my bunny can free range in there again. The pigs cages are big so its mostly my bunny I feel bad about.

Sorry this is so long.

I am sorry to hear that you lost your Dad :cry: Then what happened to two of your Rabbits must make you feel wretched :cry:

Ideally Rabbits should not be housed in the same environment (eg the same shed) as Guinea Pigs as it is possible for Rabbits to pass on a respiratory tract disease to GPs ( bordetella bronchiseptica) even if they are not living in the same enclosure. Rabbits are often asymtomatic carriers of the bacteria but for GPs it can be fatal

https://www.criver.com/sites/defaul...ectiousAgentSheetBordetellabronchiseptica.pdf

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/ownership/rabbits-living-with-other-pets/

So is it possible for your Bunny to be moved indoors whilst you are away, thus not effecting your asthma. Then for you and your husband to think about a more long term arrangement for safely housing your remaining Bunny outdoors ?

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/

Are you likely to be able to adopt a new friend for your remaining Bunny as in general Rabbits do need a companion of their own kind.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/behaviour/rabbit-companionship/

Back