• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disinfectant for E.C?

Bojangles

Young Bun
My outdoor rabbit has recently been moved indoors while I was treating him for stasis and surgery recovery, then he is now being treated for suspected E.C. He is recovering really well so I’m starting to clean his playhouse for his return hopefully in the next week or so. What disinfectant worked best for killing E.C??

My outdoor rabbit has recently been moved indoors while I was treating him for stasis and surgery recovery, then he is now being treated for suspected E.C. He is recovering really well so I’m starting to clean his playhouse for his return hopefully in the next week or so. What disinfectant worked best for killing E.C??

A 10% bleach solution, then rinse well and allow the playhouse to 100% dry out before Bunny returns to it

Or use a steam cleaner, steam will kill EC spores. Personally I'd use a steam cleaner

What Jane said. A bleach solution is a good regular disinfectant, and at 10% with a short contact time will kill EC spores.

I also tend to go to Virkon S for the deep clean on days 21 and 28 of the treatment cycle. It can be used on a wider range of things than bleach (eg in the washing machine) without damaging them - but check first. It also smells nice (lemony), and you can make up a solution of the powder in a spray bottle that will keep for up to a week. Bleach solutions must be made up for use each time.

Back