• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling like a failure

New Kit
Just a bit of advice please..i feel like a failure. I sadly lost our beloved rabbit sat ..i feel like im the only one who loses them!! as over4yrs ive lost 3 😢. The first one become poorly off his food took him to the vets on 2 occasions and gave meds etc and crytical care but still didnt make it. About a yr or so later i then got another as felt sorry for my other bun being on his own. He came in for cuddles everyday and was very much loved but after great thought i got him a girfriend..but about a yr later shortly after her Rhd vaccine she got poorly and again vets crulitical care meds etc but didnt make it....im was so strick on thier routine and what they ate etc they go out each day in the garden and have lots of cuddles with us hay pellets vegs not too hot or too cold i would worry so much.
The last one would have bouts of GI.over the 4 yrs.i would dread going away on hol only to get a phone call from my bunny savy friend who was great to say he was off his food and on critical care. He even stopped eating with the bunny bonding experience with the 2nd bun. He often was and it was stressful. He was vacinated each yr but still caught myxi in oct! but we got through that. The bouts of GI i would be straight on it after losing the other two if he was off his food i know he would eat dandelions so id go pick him some and he would eat them and give him infocol and tummy rubs and he would be ok! ..things would kick start and he would eat again.but this time fri afternoon i got him in for cuddles and he was fine no tummy gurgling or teeth grinding he was his usual self! fri eve he was off his vegs though i thought oh no whats caused this hes been really good for ages! But there was no gurgling tummy or grinding teeth...i quickly got dandelions which he ate along with a baby corn as he liked those he ate them so i put him to bed and thought hes going to be ok as hes ate them they usually do the trick. I got up early sat and again went and got him dandelions which he did eat and he drank too so i was hopeful he would pick up and got him moving about....so i went to do a shop for my mum i came back and tried him again with dandelions he started to eat them but was weak and just stopped and refused so i took him to the vets meds were given but it was too late he died a couple hrs later. I feel so awful i thought he would be ok as he was eating!.i thought hes a strong bun hes got through mxyi and other bouts but not this time..he had his rhd vacine in may...sorry i didnt know who to ask or talk too i just feel incapable of looking after anything when you care for something the best of your ability you dont expect it to happen.i keep going over the what ifs but as he ate sat morning i was feeling hopeful he would be ok like the last occasions he was off his food... but wasnt the case he went down hill very quick😢😢😢 other people give thier rabbits a whole big broccoli and they seem to be ok...i just cant get over it i feel like i should of done something different and the whatifs but as he was eating dandelion leaves fri eve and sat morning i thought he will be ok and get through it like he usually does .he was loved so much and we feel absolutely heartbroken 💔x

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. It could be that your bunny had a pre existing condition causing the stasis that had never been picked up by a vet. Bunnies are very good at hiding their illnesses. Be kind to yourself. It’s a very difficult time for you. X

Just a bit of advice please..i feel like a failure. I sadly lost our beloved rabbit sat ..i feel like im the only one who loses them!! as over4yrs ive lost 3 ��. The first one become poorly off his food took him to the vets on 2 occasions and gave meds etc and crytical care but still didnt make it. About a yr or so later i then got another as felt sorry for my other bun being on his own. He came in for cuddles everyday and was very much loved but after great thought i got him a girfriend..but about a yr later shortly after her Rhd vaccine she got poorly and again vets crulitical care meds etc but didnt make it....im was so strick on thier routine and what they ate etc they go out each day in the garden and have lots of cuddles with us hay pellets vegs not too hot or too cold i would worry so much.
The last one would have bouts of GI.over the 4 yrs.i would dread going away on hol only to get a phone call from my bunny savy friend who was great to say he was off his food and on critical care. He even stopped eating with the bunny bonding experience with the 2nd bun. He often was and it was stressful. He was vacinated each yr but still caught myxi in oct! but we got through that. The bouts of GI i would be straight on it after losing the other two if he was off his food i know he would eat dandelions so id go pick him some and he would eat them and give him infocol and tummy rubs and he would be ok! ..things would kick start and he would eat again.but this time fri afternoon i got him in for cuddles and he was fine no tummy gurgling or teeth grinding he was his usual self! fri eve he was off his vegs though i thought oh no whats caused this hes been really good for ages! But there was no gurgling tummy or grinding teeth...i quickly got dandelions which he ate along with a baby corn as he liked those he ate them so i put him to bed and thought hes going to be ok as hes ate them they usually do the trick. I got up early sat and again went and got him dandelions which he did eat and he drank too so i was hopeful he would pick up and got him moving about....so i went to do a shop for my mum i came back and tried him again with dandelions he started to eat them but was weak and just stopped and refused so i took him to the vets meds were given but it was too late he died a couple hrs later. I feel so awful i thought he would be ok as he was eating!.i thought hes a strong bun hes got through mxyi and other bouts but not this time..he had his rhd vacine in may...sorry i didnt know who to ask or talk too i just feel incapable of looking after anything when you care for something the best of your ability you dont expect it to happen.i keep going over the what ifs but as he ate sat morning i was feeling hopeful he would be ok like the last occasions he was off his food... but wasnt the case he went down hill very quick������ other people give thier rabbits a whole big broccoli and they seem to be ok...i just cant get over it i feel like i should of done something different and the whatifs but as he was eating dandelion leaves fri eve and sat morning i thought he will be ok and get through it like he usually does .he was loved so much and we feel absolutely heartbroken ��x

I am so sorry for your loss :cry: Gut stasis can be such a complex condition and it is not only a case of if Bunny is eating, it is equally important to be certain that Bunny is passing poo too. If there is no poo or very little poo then it is possible that there is an obstruction within the GI tract. The Vet needs to carry out diagnostics to make sure this is not the case as the treatment for a GI obstruction is surgical, giving medication to force GI tract motility can make things a lot worse, as can syringe feeding.

I dont think you have done anything wrong and it is obvious that you care greatly for any Bunnies you have. When you feel up to it I suggest that you have a read of the following links which may help you understand a bit more about the GI tract of Rabbits and what needs to be done when things go wrong

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/article-ROWinter10p7.pdf

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-diet/rabbit-digestion/

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...vies/ac079915d6e64fe1afe442204871cb21c282f31b

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

https://veterinary-practice.com/article/working-together-on-gut-stasis

Thank you both he was given meds pain relief and also meds fibreplex and emeprid although i found he started pooping again if he was on metoclopromide which hes had in the past...but the vet gave him emeprid this time?. I check his poos daily and that he is eating .fri afternoon he was fine when i got him in for cuddles. No signs of being off his food or just being off colour which i would notice ...keep thinking of the whatifs why he was off his food?..his routine is the same im so careful with him...getting him to eat again with his fabourite foods usually does the trick and kick starts things again with pooping but sadly not this time 😢x

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum, although in very sad circumstances. I am so sorry that your little bunny could not recover from Stasis. Most of us here can identify with your thoughts atm and will be questionning whether we could have done something differently or done more. You clearly loved your bunny very much and tried to do your best for him. I have to say also that the fact you were successful in nursing a vaccinated rabbit with Myxomatosis shows that you are certainly not a failure in caring for rabbits. I have had to do this and know how difficult and stressful this can be.

Rabbits are very fragile creatures and I find that Stasis is probably one of the most worrying issues that I have had with my rabbits. No two episodes appear to follow the same path and of course, as Jane has advised, it can be very complex to treat. I have also found that having a vet experienced in rabbit care is essential. There is an enormous amount of information on this forum, including people's experiences in treating Stasis and when you feel able to read the links, they might be helpful.

Above all, we are all here to listen and advise and do empathise with how you are feeling.

Thank you.I think like you say no two episodes follow the same he was off food in the past but i always managed to get him eating again then he pooped and he was ok...and weve always got through it... i guess thats why im finding it hard to understand that this time was unfortunately not the case ..x

Thank you both he was given meds pain relief and also meds fibreplex and emeprid although i found he started pooping again if he was on metoclopromide which hes had in the past...but the vet gave him emeprid this time?. I check his poos daily and that he is eating .fri afternoon he was fine when i got him in for cuddles. No signs of being off his food or just being off colour which i would notice ...keep thinking of the whatifs why he was off his food?..his routine is the same im so careful with him...getting him to eat again with his fabourite foods usually does the trick and kick starts things again with pooping but sadly not this time ��x

Emeprid is Metoclopramide, it's just a brand name for the drug

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-474075

I’m so sorry you lost your bunny :cry: they are so fragile and sometimes they can’t be saved. You did everything you could xx

Back