• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies were killed by a mink yesterday

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
I'm so upset, horrified, sad, heartbroken, shocked beyond belief that 2 of my bunnies were killed yesterday in the early morning. I feel sick by it all. I feel like I failes them.

I've kept bunnies in my dogpen for 15 years with no incidents. It is raccoon proof, dog and cat proof. But I never imagined we have minks here. I live in the middle of the city on Vancouver Island BC Canada. It is literally a dog kennel and has a strong cedar roof on top.

I won't go into the graphic details. I took them to my Vet for postmortems . They were killed in a precise way minks kill. So he suspected that. My husband saw it yesterday evening come back trying to get my guinea pig. I ran out and scared it off and we brought them all inside overnight. We had a webcam set up watching to see if it would come back.

It would have killed all my pets but the other 3 were in strong hutches with 1/4" hardware cloth so it couldn't get in.

My bunny is inside for the night and the pigs have thier hutches moved into the shed now. They were outside due to the nice weather and we have been upgrading the inside of the shed.

Has this happened to anyone else? Im devastated. They were rescues that were half feral, one I had from 5 weeks old. Their names were Timmins and Lottie. I'm having them cremated tkgether because they were best friends.

I'm so very sorry for your tragic loss. My bunnies were ever only indoors. I had no idea that minks were even in city limits in Vancouver. Again, I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

Binky free bunnies :cry: xxxx

How horrific :cry: I am so very sorry :cry:

I live in SW London and here we have a huge population of Urban Foxes. They are so tame and think nothing of entering peoples houses. They are more tame than many Pet Cats. Back in 1999 a Fox got into my house via an open kitchen window, in broad daylight. He killed one of my House Rabbits, Ronan.

BmpYtM4.jpg

Before this dreadful event it never occurred to me that a Fox would enter a house. I truly believed it could never happen. I was proved wrong in the most horrific way :cry:

RIP Timmins and Lottie :cry:

I’m so sorry :cry: thinking of you and sending hugs xx

Binky free Timmins and Lottie xx

I have not had the experience and it would be my worst fear. I have lost rabbits in tragic ways but I think predatation must be the hardest to come to terms with. I am so sorry for your loss and especially the circumstances.

I am so very sorry for the tragic loss of your bunnies. I live in a semi-rural area of the UK and we have had foxes appear from nowhere in the garden, even when we have been just a few feet away. They have attacked my chickens previously and have killed one of them. We have even had a Mink in the garden a few years ago.

Try not to blame yourself. These wild animals are very determined and can be strong, especially when they have young to feed.

That's absolutely tragic. I had no idea mink were on Vancouver Island either :( I suspect they just swim over :S Big hugs xx

Thank you. I keep replaying it in my head over and over finding them like that and what their last moments must have been like. I'm having a hard time sleeping. It just is such a waste ....they had so much life left and were so healthy, young and happy.

Oh my goodness what a horrifying thing to happen, so sorry you are going through this. I've never seen a mink in real life, wouldn't have even thought about them being a threat, poor bunnies ☹️

've never seen a mink in real life, wouldn't have even thought about them being a threat, poor bunnies ☹️
Mink are like weasels or stoats only more voracious, and non-native to the UK. There used to be a lot more but thankfully have been reduced in numbers, as they are invasive and devastating. Think evil small otter :(

Back