• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Claw length

zarathustra

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I've noticed that Lola and Pips claws appear to be getting too long.

They aren't crazy long, but they are starting to poke out from their fur, however, they both have very fluffy feet so I don't know whether they were too long before they started being visible.

Neither of the ladies is a huge fan of being handled, and neither my wife or I are confident enough to try and trim the nails of a feisty rabbit.

I've emailed our vets to see if they know when/if they would be open again for things like this, but if it's going to be a long while then we may have to try and do the best we can at home.

Is there a rough guide to how long a rabbits nails should be? I did read something that said they shouldn't be longer than the fur, but in the case of Lola and Pip that still seems quite long.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Can you see the vein in the nail? If so use that to see how far beyond the vein the nail extends. Longer nails also curve more.
If they are just a little long I would not cut nails on a skittish bunny myself since you can injure or stress your bunny.
Risk of long nails is the nail getting caught on something so it rips off low and bleeds, nails growing back into toe, and foot /gait issues.

We too have this problem.

We work on a catch release treat method. Catch the bun quickly do one nail offer a treat and release them.

Its over before they get too stressed although one of our buns will happily burrito I struggle to get the feet out.

Back