• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reaction to vaccine

Bobbybobtail

Warren Scout
I’m hoping someone can help or advise or just help me sort out some logical thinking regarding my bunny. She had her Eravac vaccine 2 days ago. The following day she had what I can only describe as what looks like an awful chemical burn at the injection site. I will try to post a photo. I wasn’t there when the injection was administered because of the covid precautions. Anyway I rushed her back to the vet yesterday and she has been prescribed metacam and betafuse gel. I have never seen anything like this in 30 years of having my pet bunnies vaccinated and neither have the vets.
I’m absolutely devastated because she went in fit and healthy and now has this awful wound, is hating me put the gel on and give medication and I don’t know what to expect regarding healing or the future. Has anyone experienced similar?

I'm sorry this has happened. Has she had the Eravac vaccine before? Personally all 3 of my rabbits have had this vaccine and had no reactions, although another member on here posted Eravac is an oil based vaccine which can cause reactions if injected into the skin I believe, ie the rabbit moves during injection. So I think this may have happened. I hope she recovers soon now she is on treatment for it. Just as a side note, dog has betafuse regularly for a skin problem, and the vets always make it very clear he must not lick it off as it's dangerous if ingested. Does your rabbit live with another one? In which case I would make sure companion bun cannot lick her while she is having betafuse applied.

Your vets should report this reaction, and avoid having this vaccine in the future. Filavac, or the new Nobivac plus are other options

Thank you. Yes she had the Eravac last year and was fine. She’s about 7 and has always been fine with all her vaccinations. I’ve had to separate her from the other two buns, but they can see each other. The only time she wants to lick is after I’ve put the betafuse on, so we try to distract her for 30 minutes afterwards. The vet has filed a report apparently. I’m just really worried about her healing because the vet did say it may go necrotic and need debriding. Also worried about future vaccinations. Thanks again

I’m hoping someone can help or advise or just help me sort out some logical thinking regarding my bunny. She had her Eravac vaccine 2 days ago. The following day she had what I can only describe as what looks like an awful chemical burn at the injection site. I will try to post a photo. I wasn’t there when the injection was administered because of the covid precautions. Anyway I rushed her back to the vet yesterday and she has been prescribed metacam and betafuse gel. I have never seen anything like this in 30 years of having my pet bunnies vaccinated and neither have the vets.
I’m absolutely devastated because she went in fit and healthy and now has this awful wound, is hating me put the gel on and give medication and I don’t know what to expect regarding healing or the future. Has anyone experienced similar?

Eravac is in an oil base which can cause a very nasty reaction in some Rabbits as they may be allergic to it

''Contraindications
Do not use in case of hypersensitivity to the active substance, to the adjuvant or to any of the excipients''.

Full details here :

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-465765

You will need to be vigilant that the area does not get a lot bigger and/or start to track down Bunny's shoulder and under her neck. Hopefully it will remain a relatively minor reaction but I would advise that Bunny does not have Eravac again. There is actually a new triple Vaccine available which covers Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2. The Vaccine is called Nobivac Myxo-RHD Plus

https://www.msd-animal-health-hub.co.uk/Products/Nobivac-MyxoRHD-PLUS

To add, your Vet will need to report the adverse reaction to the Veterinary Medicines Directive, so I hope she/he has done so

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/veterinary-pharmacovigilance-your-responsibilities

https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/adversereactionreporting/Product.aspx?SARType=Animal

Last edited:
Thanks so much Jacks Jane for the links and your advice. The vet says she has reported it. I also contacted Hipra myself who had not yet received any adverse reaction report so if they don’t by the end of today, I will get onto that.
I don’t understand how she could be allergic to it this time, after having it last year and being fine.
I’m monitoring her constantly as I too am terrified of the wound getting worse. Do you think she is on the right treatment? (Metacam and betafuse). My vet has a great reputation with rabbits but I’m wondering if she needs another vet to look at it, although that will be yet more stress for her. She’s due to go back in two days for a check up.
Ironically, I asked for the triple vaccine but they didn’t have it in stock. Also when I checked her vaccination card, the expiry date is one day after she had it eg she had it on the 2nd and it expired on the 3rd. Do you think this has anything to do with what happened?
Thanks again.

Thanks so much Jacks Jane for the links and your advice. The vet says she has reported it. I also contacted Hipra myself who had not yet received any adverse reaction report so if they don’t by the end of today, I will get onto that.
I don’t understand how she could be allergic to it this time, after having it last year and being fine.
I’m monitoring her constantly as I too am terrified of the wound getting worse. Do you think she is on the right treatment? (Metacam and betafuse). My vet has a great reputation with rabbits but I’m wondering if she needs another vet to look at it, although that will be yet more stress for her. She’s due to go back in two days for a check up.
Ironically, I asked for the triple vaccine but they didn’t have it in stock. Also when I checked her vaccination card, the expiry date is one day after she had it eg she had it on the 2nd and it expired on the 3rd. Do you think this has anything to do with what happened?
Thanks again.

The dates of the Vaccine wont have had any impact, initially Eravac was only licenced to be given every 9 months anyway and can be given every 6 months if the Vet deems the geographic location and/or the specific Rabbit to be at high risk.

Personally I would ask the Vet about using this product on the sore area rather than the betafuse

https://www.viovet.co.uk/F10-Produc...G6psVDDhkwvCH68gD-hHttFQ12GnseXhoCk90QAvD_BwE

F10 will also offer protection from Flystrike, of which Bunny is obviously at high risk given the open wound

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/illness/flystrike/

Metacam is certainly an essential too x

Thanks so much. I actually have f10 in my cupboard, but the cream not the spray. The spray looks good as I wouldn’t have to touch the wound. I also have rearguard which I haven’t applied to her bum as she is normally such a clean healthy bunny. I’ll ask the vet about both. Won’t be putting anything new on yet for sure.
Regarding the expiry date of the vaccine, what I meant was that it expired the day after it was given. Is this normally ok? I’m trying hard not to blame anyone and to focus on getting her well again, but it would be useful to know if it was an allergic reaction, something wrong with the vaccine or something wrong with the way it was administered. Maybe I’ll never know though.
Thanks AGAIN! X

Thanks so much. I actually have f10 in my cupboard, but the cream not the spray. The spray looks good as I wouldn’t have to touch the wound. I also have rearguard which I haven’t applied to her bum as she is normally such a clean healthy bunny. I’ll ask the vet about both. Won’t be putting anything new on yet for sure.
Regarding the expiry date of the vaccine, what I meant was that it expired the day after it was given. Is this normally ok? I’m trying hard not to blame anyone and to focus on getting her well again, but it would be useful to know if it was an allergic reaction, something wrong with the vaccine or something wrong with the way it was administered. Maybe I’ll never know though.
Thanks AGAIN! X

It's highly unlikely that the dates of the vaccine were relevant at all. It could be that some of the vaccine was accidentally given intradermally as opposed to fully subcutaneously. Or it could be an allergic reaction, allergies can suddenly occur when it has never previously been a problem. For example I am now allergic to all forms of adhesive wound dressings. I have never had the issue before and I am almost 60 !! But as you say, you will probably never know why it happened and hopefully the treatment now being given will bring about prompt healing :)

Really sorry to hear about the reaction your bunny has had to the vaccine, and I hope that it starts to heal quickly. Sending lots of healing vibes xxx

It's highly unlikely that the dates of the vaccine were relevant at all. It could be that some of the vaccine was accidentally given intradermally as opposed to fully subcutaneously. Or it could be an allergic reaction, allergies can suddenly occur when it has never previously been a problem. For example I am now allergic to all forms of adhesive wound dressings. I have never had the issue before and I am almost 60 !! But as you say, you will probably never know why it happened and hopefully the treatment now being given will bring about prompt healing :)

Ah yes you are right. Thank you again.

Just wanted to update you on Smudge and her wound. In herself, she’s ok. Eating well and taking the metacam fine. The betafuse was stopped today. The wound is dry. Part of the scab has peeled off and it’s not at all healed underneath. So, I feel that I should try the f10 spray now but I’m petrified of her having an allergic reaction to this. Is there anywhere on her body I can do a spot test? Like put a tiny spray on her, but not near the wound? Or is she likely to react to this too? I have ordered fly netting for her aviary but that won’t arrive for a few days and I am being scrupulously clean as is she.
For those of you who know about wounds and don’t mind gory photos, I’ve attached a link. What are your thoughts on the wound now? To me, it looks too dry but I’m no expert at all. I’ve been told by the vet not to do anything to it and not to wash it. The vet will see her Thursday. Have not heard anything from the vaccine company.

https://imgur.com/a/zpIBAH9
Hope everyone is having a good day.

Glad to hear that Smudge is well in herself, I honestly don't know about testing the F10 spray. I think it might just be my PC, but I can't open the link to see the photo, I'm sure someone else will be to. Hope the vet visit goes well on Thursday.

Just wanted to update you on Smudge and her wound. In herself, she’s ok. Eating well and taking the metacam fine. The betafuse was stopped today. The wound is dry. Part of the scab has peeled off and it’s not at all healed underneath. So, I feel that I should try the f10 spray now but I’m petrified of her having an allergic reaction to this. Is there anywhere on her body I can do a spot test? Like put a tiny spray on her, but not near the wound? Or is she likely to react to this too? I have ordered fly netting for her aviary but that won’t arrive for a few days and I am being scrupulously clean as is she.
For those of you who know about wounds and don’t mind gory photos, I’ve attached a link. What are your thoughts on the wound now? To me, it looks too dry but I’m no expert at all. I’ve been told by the vet not to do anything to it and not to wash it. The vet will see her Thursday. Have not heard anything from the vaccine company.

https://imgur.com/a/zpIBAH9
Hope everyone is having a good day.

The wound looks to be healing. It may take many weeks to fully resolve and do not try to remove any of the scabbing. Did you ask the Vet about using the F10 spary ? I would not use it til you have consulted the Vet. I would just make sure that the wound remains dry and clean. As I said, full healing may take weeks.

The wound looks to be healing. It may take many weeks to fully resolve and do not try to remove any of the scabbing. Did you ask the Vet about using the F10 spary ? I would not use it til you have consulted the Vet. I would just make sure that the wound remains dry and clean. As I said, full healing may take weeks.

Hi and thanks for replying. The vet consultation was via email (their request) although Thursday will be able to actually take Smudge in so they can see her properly. I emailed loads of questions along with photos of the wound. The answer to putting anything on was “no” and the question about deterring flies was ignored. I don’t know if I tried to ask too many things at once, but my feeling is that this was caused by a vaccine given at their vets and so they should be answering my questions.
Anyway, I have hung up sage and lavender from the roof of her aviary as they are supposed to deter flies. I hope the fly netting arrives soon. Changing litter tray 4 times a day and thankfully she is a very clean bunny.
Thanks for looking at the wound. It’s reassuring to hear that you think it’s healing although I’m sad it may take many weeks. She’s eating loads today, I think she knows she needs extra energy.
Thanks and take care

Hi and thanks for replying. The vet consultation was via email (their request) although Thursday will be able to actually take Smudge in so they can see her properly. I emailed loads of questions along with photos of the wound. The answer to putting anything on was “no” and the question about deterring flies was ignored. I don’t know if I tried to ask too many things at once, but my feeling is that this was caused by a vaccine given at their vets and so they should be answering my questions.
Anyway, I have hung up sage and lavender from the roof of her aviary as they are supposed to deter flies. I hope the fly netting arrives soon. Changing litter tray 4 times a day and thankfully she is a very clean bunny.
Thanks for looking at the wound. It’s reassuring to hear that you think it’s healing although I’m sad it may take many weeks. She’s eating loads today, I think she knows she needs extra energy.
Thanks and take care

Bless her, I'd be kicking up a right fuss if I had such a sore on my skin. The thing to look out for is any sign of the currently healthy looking skin around the wound starting to look very red and/ or if any nasty oozing starts to come from under the scab.

I'd take a print out the information about the F10 Wound Spray + Insecticide to show the Vet. He/she may not have even heard of it and so may just dismiss the idea of using it................

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-452554

Although the Vet should have a copy of the NOAH Compendium................

The wound takes so long to heal as it is really deep and needs to heal from the deep area outwards. The scab acts as a natural barrier and as long as no infection gets in healing will eventually happen.

Citronella can deter flies too so you could use something like this near where Bunny lives

https://www.amazon.co.uk/60-Day-Citronella-Diffuser-Portable-Control/dp/B076SN7VDR

Back