• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice

Janey11

New Kit
Hi all, I have just brought Pippin back from vets having had a bad case of gut stasis, I took him to my usual vet on Thurs and after a short time they gave him back, he still wasnt eating or pooing. After being up all night trying to syringe feed him he was still very unwell next morning. So I took him to a vet who was recommended. They kept him overnight and now I have him back, they say he has now been pooing and eating a small amount. My worry is after really struggling to syringe feed him by myself unsuccessfully, I now have a mountain of medication to give him.
Has anyone got any tips for administering this by myself. I did ask the nurse to show me when I got to the surgery but because no one can go in due to covid, she just explained it. (Im a bit of a visual person, I like to see something first). :shock:

Hi all, I have just brought Pippin back from vets having had a bad case of gut stasis, I took him to my usual vet on Thurs and after a short time they gave him back, he still wasnt eating or pooing. After being up all night trying to syringe feed him he was still very unwell next morning. So I took him to a vet who was recommended. They kept him overnight and now I have him back, they say he has now been pooing and eating a small amount. My worry is after really struggling to syringe feed him by myself unsuccessfully, I now have a mountain of medication to give him.
Has anyone got any tips for administering this by myself. I did ask the nurse to show me when I got to the surgery but because no one can go in due to covid, she just explained it. (Im a bit of a visual person, I like to see something first). :shock:

Hello, sorry to hear that your Bunny has been unwell. I hope that he is now on the road to recovery.

This video may help re administering medication. 1.42 minutes in to video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iGZVYVm5Bg&t=37s

You can put his medicine onto some of his favourite food, this might work. You can mix it in with mashed banana or baby food also. Good luck and hope your rabbit makes a full recovery.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am sorry your bunny, Pippin has an episode of stasis but you have done exactly the right thing in getting vetinary intervention quickly.
The advice from previous posts is excellent and they are very experienced in giving superb advice - especially Jane.
All I can add to the advice is perhaps you could look at a 'bunny burrito' which is quite an effective way of adminsitering meds.
It looks like the treat way is working for you - mashed banana is great and Pippin won't really know he's taking the meds.
I hope that Pippin starts feeling better soon - it can take several days for the meds to work with stasis so you'll need to continue to monitor Pippin closely and monitor the output and if you are still concerned, then contact your vet.
Please let us know how Pippin is and sending loads of vibes for him. xx

Back