• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biting rabbit!

njefferies

New Kit
We have had Ozzie for about 3 weeks now. We had him neutured a week after having him, and decided to keep his hutch inside whilst he recovered from the op. We let him out of his hutch and he has the run of the downstairs when we are at home. He is a very affectionate rabbit at times and always likes to run around us and nudge us etc etc. He will eat out of our hands and will let us stroke him. However!.... whenever we try to pick him up he goes for our hands and bites! :(

I'm dreading the time we have to put his hutch outside in the garden - because he'll bite us when we get him out! Does anyone have any tips on what we can do? He can be the cutest bunny at times, and if he could just stop biting he would be perfect! Please help! P.S. He's about 5 months old.

Could Ozzie perhaps have had a bad experience in his past? If so he may be scared of being picking up, associating it with that experience such as being dropped or jumping out of someones arms.

Its a good idea to build up his confidence so you can pick him up as there are things you will need to be able to do that for like claw clipping or taking him to the vet. In the mean time you can use a carry case to move him. Uncourage him into the box then use that to lift him into his hutch and let him walk out again in his own time.

I write an article here which may help you practice picking him up: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp

Tamsin

Yes, I think I will invest in a carry case. Thanks for the advice! When we first got Ozzie, he seemed fine about being picked up and certainly didn't try to bite! It's only since taking him to the vets the second time for his post-operation check-up that he's started to bite. I know we have to pick him up for various different reasons e.g claw clipping etc. But at the moment it's impossible....... unless I invest in some rather long thick gloves!

I have a bunny like that I've found using a thick pair of ski gloves helps. They give you the confidence to be able to handle the bunny without the fear of getting bitten. He's learnt that biting the gloves has no effect so doesn't bother but if I'm not wearing them he will try! Once my bunny is being held he is quite docile.

Back