• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Understanding my Bunny's Death

PenelopeMJ

New Kit
Hi everyone,

Yesterday at around 3 pm, I found my beloved 6-year-old bunny, Penelope lifeless on the floor, stiff. What was odd to me was her positioning. She was lying flat on her stomach/abdomen with her arms and legs stretched out. From what I read on google, it is common for rabbits to die on their sides and stretched out. But, as I said, she was on her stomach/abdomen. Is this significant in any sort of way? Her head was also slightly tilted, like leaning against her right arm...

I would like to think she died peacefully in her favorite superman position while sleeping.. but is there another possibility? Her eyes were also open... So, again.. I just want to understand.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience?

Also, her bonded friend, MJ, was running around and didn't seem to want to be near me... He is 6 1/2 years old, should I be very worried about him and his health?

Just trying to understand her passing in any way I can :(

Thank you

---------------
UPDATE: May 20, 2020

Today, MJ passed away.

I spent a good 4 hours with MJ in the morning keeping him company and giving him all the pets and comfort I could. We even napped together. Unfortunately he was still not eating nor drinking, but I made sure his favorites were available to him. I went out to run an errand, and returned an hour later to him very calm and no longer active. He was so lethargic, and I already knew what was going to happen. I called my sister who came; and we sat and laid beside him talking to him, kissing him, and cuddling him for as long as we could. He was in the exact position I found Penelope in on May 18...

He later started having small spasms (nothing too scary like I've read online). And he took his last 3 breaths effortlessly.. and after his last breath, he was gone.

As heartbroken as I am to lose 2 of my babies in 3 days; I am finding so much comfort knowing both Penelope and MJ died peacefully (as MJ was in the exact position; with head titled flat on stomach; as Penelope).

I am grateful I was able to give them both hugs, kisses, pets, cuddles, and said "I love you" before they both passed. I feel like they waited for me in a sort of way.

I am also finding so much comfort that they will both be cremated together on Friday; and go on all their bunny adventures eating all the snacks and foods and cable wires they want together endlessly.

I love them forever, and will never forget them.

Thank you for all the kind words. I appreciate you all.

R.I.P Penelope (March 10, 2014 - May 18, 2020)
R.I.P MJ (November 19, 2013 - May 20, 2020)

Last edited:
I am sorry you had to join under such awful circumstances. I offer you my sincere condolences on the loss of Penelope. Losing a bunny is never easy; and I am not aware of the meanings of any particular death position, I have had bunnies die with their eyes open.
I do understand your worrying about her bonded friend, MJ; especially since you do not know why Penelope is no longer with you. Monitor MJ to be sure he is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooing regularly. The moment he stopped doing any of these, I recommend a call to a veterinarian who specializes in rabbits.
From posts on this forum and my own experience, bunnies can seem fine and within hours be gravely ill. As prey animals, their natural tendency is to hide their illness; so that is why I suggested monitoring MJ closely in the days to come. It is also possible that Penelope died like my late Fancy who was fine just minutes before he suddenly died. I will never know if he died from heart failure, a stoke, or any other issue; just that I did not get to say goodbye.
Was MJ aware Penelope died? If so, MJ will be grieving the loss of his friend along with you. Try to minimize any additional stress for MJ by not making any sudden changes to the surroundings.

There is a lot of information on this forum that you can read, and many people who have lots of knowledge and experience with bunnies that will be responding to your post.
There is also a section called 'Rainbow Bridge' where you can post a story about Penelope and I am sure your will bring us all to tears as you share your wonderful memories of how your beloved bunny.

Hi everyone,

I created this account because I need some help in understanding my bunny's death.

Yesterday at around 3 pm, I found my beloved 6-year-old bunny, Penelope lifeless on the floor, stiff. What was odd to me was her positioning. She was lying flat on her stomach/abdomen with her arms and legs stretched out. From what I read on google, it is common for rabbits to die on their sides and stretched out. But, as I said, she was on her stomach/abdomen. Is this significant in any sort of way? Her head was also slightly tilted, like leaning against her right arm...

I would like to think she died peacefully in her favorite superman position while sleeping.. but is there another possibility? Her eyes were also open... So, again.. I just want to understand.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience?

Also, her bonded friend, MJ, was running around and didn't seem to want to be near me... He is 6 1/2 years old, should I be very worried about him and his health?

Just trying to understand her passing in any way I can :(

Thank you,

P.S. I cremated her today; I feel like this is the first step to having closure from the loss of one of my long time friend...but I still have burning questions

I am sorry for your loss. As a Rabbit passes away they can have what looks like a fit. This being due to all the 'wiring' in the brain shutting down, a long with all the major organs. The Rabbit is very unlikely to have any awareness of what is going on, even though it is obviously distressing to witness. So the position you found your Rabbit in many hours after the actual passing won't tell you much. It is common for a deceased Rabbit's eyes to be open and often to appear to be protruding.

Had Penelope been ill prior to her passing or was it a 'sudden and unexpected' death ? Was she fully vaccinated ?

Is there any chance that a predator- eg a Fox, could have been near the Rabbits ?

MJ may seem somewhat distressed if he witnessed his partner's passing and/or he was scared by a predator.

I would monitor his behaviour, eating and pooing over the next few days. In non Covid 19 circumstances I'd advise you book a health check with the Vet for MJ. But Vet Consultations are being carried out very differently at the moment, so perhaps a call to the Vet to inform them of Penelope's sudden passing and ask for their advice re your concerns for MJ's health and welfare.

Once again, I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

RIP Penelope x

I’m so very sorry you lost Penelope :cry: I agree with the advice you have been given.

Thinking of you and MJ xx

I have no advice that i can offer but am so sorry about Penelope. It is very upsetting when a bunny dies.

So sorry for your loss. I don't have any advice to add but wish you and MJ well as you come through terms with losing Penelope.

So sorry to hear that you have lost your little bunny, Penelope. I cannot add to advice already given, but thinking of you and MJ xxx

I am really really sorry for your loss.

My bunny Toby died of a heart attack and sounds very similar to what you are describing, head tilt including :( :( I am sorry xxx

As a Rabbit passes away they can have what looks like a fit. This being due to all the 'wiring' in the brain shutting down, a long with all the major organs. The Rabbit is very unlikely to have any awareness of what is going on, even though it is obviously distressing to witness.

I never knew that, I struggled with that for a long time.

As a Rabbit passes away they can have what looks like a fit. This being due to all the 'wiring' in the brain shutting down, a long with all the major organs. The Rabbit is very unlikely to have any awareness of what is going on, even though it is obviously distressing to witness.

I never knew that, I struggled with that for a long time.

(Hugs) xx

Back