• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pet safe wood preserver?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi as anyone made there own hutches? i have but would like to know how to preserve them from urine, and went to have a quick look in a diy store but could not see on the tins that it was per safe!!!

if anyone know i would be grateful for some brand name or suggestions

thanks

Look on the internet for a product called Bitumen, I have protected my hutch floors with this and also 1 inch up the sides as it is water proof and stops urine seeping through to the hutch below.

HTH

Have just looked up Bitumen on the internet and its described as "a sticky tar-like sustance made from crude oil". If its sticky, aren't buns likely to get it stuck to their paws which they will them ingest when grooming?

Don't know about what it says on the tin, the person who we bought the hutches off had done it already, although many people tell me it is animal safe, not many rabbits - when it is covered in a deep layer of shavings, will sit and munch at the foor :lol: :wink:

Fluffybunny said:
Look on the internet for a product called Bitumen, I have protected my hutch floors with this and also 1 inch up the sides as it is water proof and stops urine seeping through to the hutch below.

HTH

I've done exactly the same with my hutches. I bought a small tin of stuff (can't remember the exact name) from B&Q, and found it does the job quite well.

Do you have a wilkinsons store near you?
if so get some i think its called fence care ive always painted my hutches and runs with it ive painted by bunny shed blue!
and that is safe for animals its says on the tin its really cheap too!

I think Yacht varnish maybe okay as that has to not put polunants into the sea. Some of them also have safe for use on childrens toys.

There is also cuprinol which is a wood preserver rather than varnish which I believe has 'safe for pets' on the tin.

Best thing is to ask in store then check by phoning the manufacturer.

Tam

Tamsin said:
I think Yacht varnish maybe okay as that has to not put polunants into the sea. Some of them also have safe for use on childrens toys.

There is also cuprinol which is a wood preserver rather than varnish which I believe has 'safe for pets' on the tin.

Best thing is to ask in store then check by phoning the manufacturer.

Tam

THANKS TAMSIN I WILL TRY THEM OUT
THANKS EVE X

I got a big tub of wood treatment from B&Q. I can't remember the exact name of it, but it was shelved with the creosotes as it is a similar product but is animal safe. It doesn't have a toxic smell to it, and is fine for animals as soon as its dry. I painted the whole hutch with it and the pee just wipes off it. It does require top up coats now and again. I also seem to remember it was only a few pounds for the large tub. Hope this helps!

Back