• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help need health advice!!

ng1234

New Kit
Hi I’m really desperate for some advice regarding episodes my rabbit has been having over the past few weeks. He is a male mini lop and is 4 years old and is an indoor rabbit who is allowed to play outside in the garden during the day.

He has had three episodes one on 7th May one yesterday and one today. The episodes last around 10 minutes and have been around 7pm each time. He basically starts breathing extremely fast to the point his heart is beating out of his chest and is going so fast it is moving his body with it. His ears feel really hot every time and the blood vessels in his ears swell. Also he goes really lethargic and keeps trying to lie down but it is like he can’t get comfortable. The first episode he ended up flopped on his side not moving and slightly stiff just breathing so fast, the second time he was the same more stiff and actually wet himself as well and the third time today he was slightly calmer and was just in the bun loaf but still breathing really fast and didn’t want us to touch him. The first time we rushed him to the vet and she assumed heat stroke as she couldn’t find anything wrong with him so gave him painkiller to bring the temp down and he was fine. The second time yesterday we took him again the vet assumed it was a seizure and asked if he had been eating any new plants which it turns out he has been eating a new plant (milkweed or petty spurge) over the past few weeks which are actually toxic and we didn’t realise so this made sense and also tied into the time frame so we accepted that it was a seizure due to the plant which we’ve now ripped up. However he had another today and hasn’t went near the plant. I’m going back to the vet tomorrow for another check up so really hoping to get some answers but does anyone know what this sounds like?? I just want to get to the bottom of it!

I'm sorry to read this - I can understand how anxious you feel about your bunny.
I'm afraid I'm not really an expert in this particular field of diagnosis - but my initial thoughts for you are that you have done exactly the right thing by getting him to the vets so quickly. The plant that he has digested seems to be the catalyst for this - I am not sure what the toxicity levels are within rabbits on this.
I would be tempted to request full bloods analysis from the vet, check kidney and liver function to determine a course of treatment for your rabbit.
I am sure some of our RU friends with a far greater depth and insight into these things will look at your thread and hopefully give some better direction for you.
Sending you hugs and vibes for your bunny for the vet visit tomorrow and please update us if you are able to.
Craig

I'm sorry that your rabbit is unwell. Do you know how much of the plant he ingested? When a rabbit eats a poisonous plant very often the damage is done to internal organs and the effects are not noted immediately, only long term. I think there are two possibilities here. Firstly he has indeed eaten enough of the Spurge to cause a neurological problem, which is continuing. Or else, he hasn't in fact eaten very much of it and it's just a coincidence that he is now having symptoms.

Did you update your vet on the plant which he had eaten? I have been unable to find any information online which states what problems the poison causes. I think your vet should have contacts, which would provide this information. It might be that the poison is unable to cause the symptoms that your rabbit is exhibiting.

If it is not the poison then the vet will need to treat his ongoing symptoms.

Sending your rabbit lots of vibes and I hope that you are able to confirm what the problem is.

Thank you both for your responses! The first time we went to the vet she did a blood test and said everything came back normal but I will ask again tomorrow. Also on both visits to the vets both vets said they didn’t see any signs of neurological issues either so it’s really confusing! After we realised the plant he had been eating was toxic which was yesterday night I called the vet and they advised that as long as he is ok in himself at the time, which he was, nothing further needs to be done other than keeping an eye on him and I read online to encourage lots of water and hay to flush through the system which I then did and also gave him some probiotics (we use Protexin Fibreplex). It’s really strange because each time it has lasted for around 10 minutes then after he is completely back to normal so hopefully we will get to the bottom of it tomorrow. Thanks again for your replies!

Thank you both for your responses! The first time we went to the vet she did a blood test and said everything came back normal but I will ask again tomorrow. Also on both visits to the vets both vets said they didn’t see any signs of neurological issues either so it’s really confusing! After we realised the plant he had been eating was toxic which was yesterday night I called the vet and they advised that as long as he is ok in himself at the time, which he was, nothing further needs to be done other than keeping an eye on him and I read online to encourage lots of water and hay to flush through the system which I then did and also gave him some probiotics (we use Protexin Fibreplex). It’s really strange because each time it has lasted for around 10 minutes then after he is completely back to normal so hopefully we will get to the bottom of it tomorrow. Thanks again for your replies!

Has the Vet mentioned the possibility of EC (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi) ? Whilst seizures (if that is what your Rabbit is having episodes of) are not usually the main or only symptom they can be. I had a Rabbit who's first and only symptom of EC was the development of recurrent seizures.

A few sources of information here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/seizure.htm

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/disease/e-cuniculi/

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/lant-toxicity-the-problem-with-lists

Back