• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how early can you bond rabbits?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi as some of you may have read i have 6 8weeks old rabbits and wondering if i can bond one with one of my neutered bucks. but at what age because my bucks are 16 weeks and 8 months and there is a size difference.. what do you think?

The 16wk bucks would be ok to par up if they havent started mounting eachother, you would have to keep a check on them cos at three mths roughly they will neen the snip.The 8 mth buck is to big as you say and it would be better to wait until the does were about 3mths.it would help to know how long the buck has been done and how old he was when he was done, because if bucks are done young they loose the urge for mounting a doe and could be paired up sooner. A buck that knew he was a male will probebely carry on trying to mount a female for a long time, so could not be trusted with a very young doe. val

taylor v 109 said:
The 16wk bucks would be ok to par up if they havent started mounting eachother, you would have to keep a check on them cos at three mths roughly they will neen the snip.The 8 mth buck is to big as you say and it would be better to wait until the does were about 3mths.it would help to know how long the buck has been done and how old he was when he was done, because if bucks are done young they loose the urge for mounting a doe and could be paired up sooner. A buck that knew he was a male will probebely carry on trying to mount a female for a long time, so could not be trusted with a very young doe. val

sorry val i am going to quote you because it hard to remember what you said and answer sorry...

funny enough my 16 week old buck is a lop and is the biggest rabbit in the pack, all the others are netherland dwalfs or nd/mix... he has only been neutered for 2 weeks, only had him three. but i put him out with my other buck to test the water so to say and he was mounting my other neutered buck also resently neutered about 6 weeks. this neutering is costing me a jolly ol fortune 2 down and 7 to go.... oh i forgot about the bitting i will give that a miss for a little while then.
thanks val

Back