• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bella the Hamster climbed up the Bath and a couple of Qs

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
So Bella managed to climb up the side of the bath, fortunately I was in there brushing my teeth and grabbed a towel to pick her up, so no more bath time :cry: It's hard finding things for her to do and my whole evening is spent interacting with her in different ways as this seems to be what she wants. I moved her cage about a week ago and it's now right next to my armchair as she seemed to want to be nearer to me. I don't find this easy and I have never had this problem with the Bunnies as they all seem very content but most do have a friend. She's even started getting out of bed while I am eating my breakfast hoping to get a small piece of toast.

Anyway what I wanted to ask is do Hamsters moult as Bella's coat has got a bit scruffy-looking. A lot of the Rabbits are moulting atm and wondered if Hamsters do also. Also, is it ok for them to have tiny pieces of toast?

So Bella managed to climb up the side of the bath, fortunately I was in there brushing my teeth and grabbed a towel to pick her up, so no more bath time :cry: It's hard finding things for her to do and my whole evening is spent interacting with her in different ways as this seems to be what she wants. I moved her cage about a week ago and it's now right next to my armchair as she seemed to want to be nearer to me. I don't find this easy and I have never had this problem with the Bunnies as they all seem very content but most do have a friend. She's even started getting out of bed while I am eating my breakfast hoping to get a small piece of toast.

Anyway what I wanted to ask is do Hamsters moult as Bella's coat has got a bit scruffy-looking. A lot of the Rabbits are moulting atm and wondered if Hamsters do also. Also, is it ok for them to have tiny pieces of toast?
As far as I'm aware hamsters don't moult.. I've never had one moult. Coat issues could be diet or health related.

The bath - so typical, hammies are nuts [emoji38] they're funny little creatures, Gus really does enjoy human company, whereas Pepper likes interaction but also to do her own thing and not be touched [emoji38] they're all so different, Bella sounds really friendly :)

I'm not sure about the toast either sorry, I probably wouldn't feed bread items to mine though personally. Can you get some dried millet? Mine love destroying it and eating the seeds [emoji7]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I don’t have much experience of hamsters but wow, climbing the bath :shock: our gerbils never climbed the bath.

When we gave them millet it sent them absolutely mental :lol:

I didn't think they moulted but found this -

Hamsters moult throughout the summer and autumn and at this time many hamsters may have periods where their coats are sparse or may have areas of fur loss. ... All species of hamsters moult but the Chinese and Roborovski hamsters are generally less affected than the Russian species and the Syrian Hamster.
www.petwebsite.com › hamsters › h...
Fur Loss In Hamsters - Pet Web Site

Millet - do you mean the stuff you give to Budgies?

Thanks BYB for that info.

She begs for food every dinnertime and yes she is super friendly. I'm just glad she doesn't get out of her cage or I reckon I would get mawled! She sits looking at me when I'm watching the TV and when I look at her she quickly turns away as if to say I'm not looking at you! And if you don't pay her any attention she starts to bite the bars but quite often she just sits quietly next to me.

Yes birds millet, I also give it to my chinchilla.

Bella really loves you. Our Pea loves to watch us, we have her in the bedroom.

Something like this mine both love :D
c8e1cb856414e96d73210c74498f56f9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back