• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on pending vet trip

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
So Mousey, Joe & Boo are slightly overdue Novibac. All bunnies were supposed to see Ruth mid April - Rudey for check up, the others for vaccs.

Now I can book them in for vacs I'm wondering whether to leave Rudey at home (he's covered). My main concern is Mouse is a big girl & super clumsy, Rudey is more fragile than ever ...I'm worried about her doing him a mischief in the carrier. I'd be mainly taking them together for emotional support as I really don't want Rudey seen by another vet who has never met him when I can't be in the consult, unless of course I feel he needs a vet / there is something they can offer him.

Part of me is inclined to take J&B in one carrier, Mouse in the other & leave Rudey at home, hoping Ruth will be back for him to have a check up in the not to distant future.

I'd also like peoples opinions on travelling from East Lancs to Harrogate in the most dilapidated car ever. Part of me thinks it would be safer to see if local vets4pets could vaccinate them which is 10 mins to get there, harrogate is 45-60. Well it would be "safer" but also potentially compromising my rabbits care.

I can't think straight o any thoughts welcome

I had similar thoughts thought the distance is less for me, the car being similar though. I'm kind of thinking RAC/AA might be less burdened at the moment so faster at responding? I managed to have a puncture travelling 1.5 miles to Aldi (tyre taking NO air at all) but I sorted it myself. Thank god I wasn't doing a bunny vet trip though. I don't have issue with travelling to registered vets being appropriate instead of finding one locally. (Wednesday was Becky's day last week so I'll be going for that again if I get to choose!).

If you are going to go to Crab Lane, I'd stay off the caffeine beforehand - another challenge! Oh, and if you do go to CLV, I could meet you on a lay-by on your way back and at a socially appropriate distance hand over a kale plant;)

Oh, I concur with leaving Rudey at home too.

So Mousey, Joe & Boo are slightly overdue Novibac. All bunnies were supposed to see Ruth mid April - Rudey for check up, the others for vaccs.

Now I can book them in for vacs I'm wondering whether to leave Rudey at home (he's covered). My main concern is Mouse is a big girl & super clumsy, Rudey is more fragile than ever ...I'm worried about her doing him a mischief in the carrier. I'd be mainly taking them together for emotional support as I really don't want Rudey seen by another vet who has never met him when I can't be in the consult, unless of course I feel he needs a vet / there is something they can offer him.

Part of me is inclined to take J&B in one carrier, Mouse in the other & leave Rudey at home, hoping Ruth will be back for him to have a check up in the not to distant future.

I'd also like peoples opinions on travelling from East Lancs to Harrogate in the most dilapidated car ever. Part of me thinks it would be safer to see if local vets4pets could vaccinate them which is 10 mins to get there, harrogate is 45-60. Well it would be "safer" but also potentially compromising my rabbits care.

I can't think straight o any thoughts welcome

My thoughts for what it's worth. I'd leave Mr R at home

I'd use Vets4Pets for getting the vaccinations done on condition that I could speak with the Vet either by phone or at a 'safe' distance outside the surgery prior to the vaccinations being given. I'd want confirmation that a full health check would be done before vaccinating and that you could have a printout of the clinical details of the 'consultation' as will be entered on the Practice computer.

1.) I'd leave Rudey at home :)

2.) Hmm, I think I'd be inclined to just go to Vets4Pets for ease, but be prepared to forgive yourself if something happens in the next few weeks that MIGHT have been picked up by your experienced vet now (partly becaue it probably wasn't visible/whatever now anyway).

1.) I'd leave Rudey at home :)

2.) Hmm, I think I'd be inclined to just go to Vets4Pets for ease, but be prepared to forgive yourself if something happens in the next few weeks that MIGHT have been picked up by your experienced vet now (partly becaue it probably wasn't visible/whatever now anyway).

Both practices are RWAF silver practices so *in theory* that shouldn't be a big factor (bar having the full history to hand).

One thing that I would be nervous about with V4P - where do you wait when you hand your pet over? I'm assuming P@H stores are open so would you go in the store and hang about? In the waiting room?

Both practices are RWAF silver practices so *in theory* that shouldn't be a big factor (bar having the full history to hand).

One thing that I would be nervous about with V4P - where do you wait when you hand your pet over? I'm assuming P@H stores are open so would you go in the store and hang about? In the waiting room?

In your car in the Car Park :)

Thanks for your thoughts...I'm glad everyone agrees Rudey should stay at home.

I still can't quite decide which vets - I need to subtly find out if the bunny vet at local one is working but don't know her name :lol: also need to be careful I'm not coming across as too fussy as they could refuse to see my buns & I'll have burnt that bridge

I still can't quite decide which vets - I need to subtly find out if the bunny vet at local one is working but don't know her name :lol: also need to be careful I'm not coming across as too fussy as they could refuse to see my buns & I'll have burnt that bridge

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/ Helen Pratt. On looking at the practice website she's the owner so highly likely she will be working.

Last edited:

I agree I would leave Rudey at home. And I would use the local vets in the circumstances.

I don’t think asking if the bunny vet is working would come across as too fussy at all, you could ring up in the first instance without necessarily giving your details and ask the question.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/ Helen Pratt. On looking at the practice website she's the owner so highly likely she will be working.

aww thanks BB. I did meet her once for a Rudey check up - she was really gentle . Thats super reassuring that Helen likely to be a local vets as if I have to make the call about Rudey I wouldn't want his last hour spent dong a stressful car journey .

If I go local I assume it would be best practice to discuss with CL first? However can't afford to let reception know my plans as I'll be hoyed off the books - the actual vets are more accommodating I feel

I also would leave Rudey at home. I would also choose to have the vaccinations done at your local vets. I've always considered that the health checks prior to vaccinations are unlikely to pick up very much that a savvy owner is unaware of.

I've always considered that the health checks prior to vaccinations are unlikely to pick up very much that a savvy owner is unaware of.
Yes, I use them for reassurance more than anything else! And the weight check, always good to know if Matt's feeding them too much :lol: I found the consult useful for teeth, for example: both Lpsy and Aboleth have/had spurs that never bothered them, and the vet mentioned he sees a variety of spur stages and rabbits cope with them very differently :) The fact these spurs were always there but never changed was reassuring for us, meaning we were giving good care :)

I would definitely go local for the vaccinations, and would leave Rudey at home. If it’s only a short trip to the V4P you’ll likely be there and back in an hour or so :)

Thanks all. I shall leave little Rudey here. The more i think about it though it will have to be the longer trip to crab Lane . mousey I think needs her arthritic meds reviewed - her self care is suffering although she seems bright. plus there has been something weird going on with Boo's already weird (blind) eye - it has a more distinct white mark within the cloudiness. She also seems fine in herself fortunately. All their history is at crab lane & Becky knows all my bunnies

I hope your mind is easier now you have decided to leave Rudey at home. It is such a worry at the moment but if Mouse needs her meds and Boo needs eye treatment then CLV sounds the better.

I hope your mind is easier now you have decided to leave Rudey at home. It is such a worry at the moment but if Mouse needs her meds and Boo needs eye treatment then CLV sounds the better.

Thanks Dilly. I can't see it getting much safer to get there in the next month or 2 & I can't leave them forever to get reviewed. Joey - AFAIK is only needing vacs

Thanks all. I shall leave little Rudey here. The more i think about it though it will have to be the longer trip to crab Lane . mousey I think needs her arthritic meds reviewed - her self care is suffering although she seems bright. plus there has been something weird going on with Boo's already weird (blind) eye - it has a more distinct white mark within the cloudiness. She also seems fine in herself fortunately. All their history is at crab lane & Becky knows all my bunnies

EC related phacoclastic uveitis maybe ?

yM1eLtf.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.pro...9e50005056ad4736/file/PV1112_Pilny1_EE-CR.pdf

Back