• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

US FDA said Ranitidine is a cancer causing agent, is it still safe for rabbits?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fda-requests-removal-ranitidine-products-144900983.html

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safe...nd-press-announcements-ndma-zantac-ranitidine

So these lawsuit just filed on Apr. 1, I like their sense of humor as it's done on April's Fools day. But since Ranitidine is a cancer causing agent, should vet still give it to rabbits?

Ranitidine was withdrawn from sale here last year due to a concern that some brands might be contaminated with a carcinogenic ingredient.AFAIK thus far there has been no evidence found to prove that there is a problem. Many manufacturers did recall all of their stock, consequently there was and still is a major supply problem. I still take Ranitidine and when needed my Rabbits are still prescribed it.

A similar issue occured years ago with Cisapride. This drug was found to cause heart irregularities in some humans and so it was withdrawn. Hence Vets could not obtain it to prescribe as part of the treatment of gut stasis. This has now changed though and Vets in the UK can obtain Cisapride.

Even if a particular drug were to cause a problem for humans it does not automatically mean that it will do the same in an animal and vice versa . Penicillin is safe taken orally by humans but it is likely to kill a Rabbit !

Differences in drug reactions between humans and animals is, IMO, another good reason not to use Animal Models for drug testing. But that is a debate for another thread which would probably get heated and give Admin' and the Mods a meltdown :lol:

In short, my Rabbits are still prescribed Ranitidine in liquid form.

that's why I never use Cisapride on my buns. It's illegal to use on a human in canada. So years ago, when my vet suggest cisapride, I just don't feel comfortable w/ it.

as to ranitidine, there are times that whatever a drug does to human, it can do the same thing to animals. this is the details:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...removal-all-ranitidine-products-zantac-market

1) definitely don't want to use it at high temperature, so put it in a fridge would help

2) I'm w/ FDA on this one, I just can't see if it happens to a human at higher dosage, why can't it NOT happen to any animals?

that's why I never use Cisapride on my buns. It's illegal to use on a human in canada. So years ago, when my vet suggest cisapride, I just don't feel comfortable w/ it.

as to ranitidine, there are times that whatever a drug does to human, it can do the same thing to animals. this is the details:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...removal-all-ranitidine-products-zantac-market

1) definitely don't want to use it at high temperature, so put it in a fridge would help

2) I'm w/ FDA on this one, I just can't see if it happens to a human at higher dosage, why can't it NOT happen to any animals?

We just have to make our own decisions based on advice from trusted Professionals Jason. Every single form of medication carries a risk of an adverse side effect. There is no such thing as a 100% safe drug. Personally I would prefer to continue to treat my Rabbits with a drug that could save their life, even if there was a risk by using said drug. IMO the risk of the Rabbit dying from gut stasis is MUCH higher than any risk of them getting cancer from the Ranitidine.

We just have to make our own decisions based on advice from trusted Professionals Jason. Every single form of medication carries a risk of an adverse side effect. There is no such thing as a 100% safe drug. Personally I would prefer to continue to treat my Rabbits with a drug that could save their life, even if there was a risk by using said drug. IMO the risk of the Rabbit dying from gut stasis is MUCH higher than any risk of them getting cancer from the Ranitidine.

I think I'd agree with what Jane said tbh. I think the threat of dying from stasis compared to cancer from Ranitidine really outweighs it. esp if you said you can't get cisapride.. that only leaves emeprid iirc? its not always strong enough/the right one to use, so sometimes you have to try different ones or a combi of both. they all have different strengths. Ori was on cisapride but it wasn't helping as much as it should have so we went to emeprid when he had stasis. so its good to have the options there.

+ I would always take the risk if it meant I could have more time with them. a rabbit will likely die within a few days if stasis is not treated. treatment allows them to bounce back to normal. IF they did contract cancer from ranitidine, you would still have months if not years with them more than likely. so in that way, you're looking at a few days of life if that, or a few months/years on the basis that they did get cancer from the medication.. I'd take the medication tbh.

no medication is 100% safe, all have their risks unfortunately :(

while a lot different, Metacam can cause kidney & liver failure in cats and dogs. despite that, I have Luna on it long term after being diagnosed w arthritis at the age of 2/3. I'd rather have less time with her possibly, and have her die of kidney failure, than live a long life in pain and utterly miserable. its a risk and trade off we have to take no matter the medication it is. some are more harsh than others I do admit. but its about weighing the benefits compared to the risks. with metacam and ranitidine, I would (personally) say the benefits outweigh the risks. not everybody thinks like that though.

If it's just for a few days, then obviously ranitidine can't cause cancer in such short time

Over here in North America, our rabbits doesn't need high dosage of metacam, so ranitidine is only given for rabbit uses metacam in a long term basis

As your bun Luna, :

1) how come he has arthritis at such young age?

2) have you look into gabbatentin instead of metacam?

If it's just for a few days, then obviously ranitidine can't cause cancer in such short time

Over here in North America, our rabbits doesn't need high dosage of metacam, so ranitidine is only given for rabbit uses metacam in a long term basis

As your bun Luna, :

1) how come he has arthritis at such young age?

2) have you look into gabbatentin instead of metacam?

I imagine due to poor breeding and the start of her life. her hip sockets are very shallow, and she sits very "froggy" :lol: I rescued her, previous owners brought her from a breeder. she lived in an 80cm cage for the first 4 months of her life, not often let out, the bottom was the hard plastic grids you see on these rabbit cages, she had minimal sawdust. so all day she had those grids cutting into her skin, so I imagine it was very uncomfortable. she had very poor nutrition also, no hay, veggies, and a poor quality pellet. I imagine all of these factors combined simply ruined her hips, causing the extremely early onset of arthritis. I do think she was around 3 when we diagnosed but I honestly can't remember clearly.

the breeder she was purchased from was the same breeder I purchased my very first rabbit from who had a whole host of dental issues likely caused from breeding, so I'm willing to put money on it being poor breeding mostly.

Back