• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does rabbits react to hard consonance name better, just like dogs?

this link is for dogs

https://wagwalking.com/sense/can-dogs-only-hear-vowels

I think if the name of a rabbit is 1 to 2 syllable, they may react to it. So all these years, I keep the name of my bun to 1 to 2 syllable

so far, they don't react when I call their name, not in the past 20+ years

so now I wonder if hard consonance works better? has anyone try

I cant say I have noticed any correlation between the two Jason. Some of my Rabbits have obviously reacted to their names, at the moment John-Joe and Dara in particular.

I just did a test.

I trained my rabbits to the command "Hase, komm!" (rabbit, come!). Their ears perk up when I just say Hase, but they didn't bother to stand up. Komm alone got them moving to fetch their treat. :)

German. Although the right term would be Kaninchen, but domestic rabbits are generally referred to as Hasen, like hares, but which are referred to as Feldhasen (field hares). A somewhat sloppy use of terms.

Last edited:
German. Although the right term would be Kaninchen, but domestic rabbits are generally referred to as Hasen, like hares, but which are referred to as Feldhasen (field hares). A somewhat sloppy use of terms.
This just prompted me to do something I've wondered for ages (I'm such a language nerd): look up the origins of Kaninchen :D Useful to know about Hase v Kaninchen v Feldhase :)

I've found saying something multiple times works: 'bunnies bunnies bunnies' worked on Aboleth, 'Chibbs Chibbs Chibbs' works on Chibbs sometimes, moreso than just 'hey Chibbs'. Lopsy's deaf so no hope there XD

None of my bunnies respond to their names. They come to tapping on the dinner bowls or I tap on the pet manor housing if they are inside. They will shoot out knowing its nom times

Back