• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!! Baby bunny surprise!

Carolyn73

New Kit
Hi,
I literally joined 2 min ago. Sorry that my first post is a desperate plea for guidance!

We have 3 mini lops, 2 boys and a girl. They are sibs. We got them at Xmas and they were 8 weeks old. Took them to the vet early jan and booked in for vax and neutering for the boys. Vet said wait to spay the female until she is 6-9months old.

The boys bits had not dropped until a month ago and they went in for neutering What I thought was pretty much straight away. I clearly was not paying enough attention because my children went to feed them this morning and came back into the house shrieking about baby bunnies.

So the female appears to have given birth last night some time to 4 lovely little kits. The males would not stop trying to mount her this morning and were fighting with each other.

Quick google search led me to remove the males to the exercise pen for the day while I figured out what to do. I have now put the female and her babies into a big old dog crate, lined it with cardboard to create sound buffering and darkness and they are currently in my living room. I used a low plastic crate as a nest box, filling it with wood shaving (super soft, no spiked bits) and straw and transplanted the nest she made into it. The boy’s are back in the run.
I have now ordered a second hutch which will be here tomorrow if the gods of yodel approve.

If I understand correctly I will need to keep the boys and the girls separated but close by for the next couple of weeks. Is that correct even where the males have now actually been neutered (they are now 3 weeks post op)? If I count back I think they must have had 1 week at the most of unbridled passion before the vet intervened.

I was worried the constant attempts to mount her would hurt her given her post partum status and wondered if her newly fertile status would wear off and the males might stop this aggressive behaviour if they were allowed back into the same space. Is there anything I can do to discourage it? I understand the males are not a threat to the kits.

Any help is very greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Carolyn

*typing on phone so apologies for weird spelling mistakes and typos.

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

Unfortunately you need to allow at least 6 weeks post neuter for a buck to ensure that he isn't still fertile, so I would definitely keep your bucks separate from the doe. Also, a doe is very fertile immediately after giving birth and so you will need to keep a close watch to see that she doesn't produce a second litter. Hopefully, she won't, but it's a possibility.

Sending lots of vibes for your new little ones :)

Back