• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tulip has been very very VERY naughty

mikek

Warren Veteran
I don't wanna even say what has happened yet, just very relieved she is OK.

I need a drink first.

escaped into the fields at the end of the garden. only way was jumping the fence which is about 1.2m high.
my fault I guess but I really didn't think it could be done but she is a good jumper.
so lucky I saw her, so lucky she was near the fence & so lucky I was able to recover her. i'm amazed I managed it as she is pretty much feral and if she'd got spooked while during the recapture she would be in the next parish by now.

i'm still more than a bit shook up with the thought of how it might've turned out.

fence is trashed as I had to demolish it to make a pathway back for her. they will both be in the shed until it's sorted.

Oh that's made me feel like a stiff drink, and I wasn't even there ! Well done Mike on your quick actions, you've earned a drink or three :thumb: naughty girl Tulip :evil:

Oh :shock: Well firstly sweet little Tulip is not naughty. She's just a free spirit :love:

However.........I too would be terribly shocked by this and, as you say, getting her back could have spooked her with horrible consequences. Thank goodness you did though. Trouble is she knows how to do it now!

Oh my goodness. Mike - I'm so glad you found Tulip. That was so firtunate and so observant. She is so lucky that you found her.
You're gonna need to build a newer higher fence or possibly put something shorter in front of the fence line so Tulip can't get a run at it and jump up.
So pleased she is ok and she has you looking after her.

tulip-safe

escaped into the fields at the end of the garden. only way was jumping the fence which is about 1.2m high.
my fault I guess but I really didn't think it could be done but she is a good jumper.
so lucky I saw her, so lucky she was near the fence & so lucky I was able to recover her. i'm amazed I managed it as she is pretty much feral and if she'd got spooked while during the recapture she would be in the next parish by now.

i'm still more than a bit shook up with the thought of how it might've turned out.

fence is trashed as I had to demolish it to make a pathway back for her. they will both be in the shed until it's sorted.
dear mike k,-oh,my-tulip is ok:love:,wow.-yes they move at alaming speeds.-glad you saw it and recovered the little darling.-I love a happy ending.-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:love::wave:

thank you everyone for your concern tbh I was worried about the response I would get once the details of the drama were revealed. I am aware that 'free-range' has it's risks but I like to give the rabbits in my care as 'natural' a lifestyle as possible and I think Pepper & Tulip really enjoy the wide open space they have. To see them tearing around the garden for full 30metre sprints is so special. They are definitely not house bun types & I can't imagine how they would feel being confined.

Unfortunately I expect they will have to be confined in their shed until the weekend (at least) when I will be able to do a full security audit.... I assumed Tulip jumped over the fence but there is a possibility she tunnelled out somewhere - possibly into next door & then transitioning into the fields - there has been some tunnelling activity in certain areas.

this is the first occurrence of this nature in 15yrs, 6 rabbits.

drinks have been had.

Last edited:
thank you everyone for your concern tbh I was worried about the response I would get once the details of the drama were revealed. I am aware that 'free-range' has it's risks but I like to give the rabbits in my care as 'natural' a lifestyle as possible and I think Pepper & Tulip really enjoy the wide open space they have. To see them tearing around the garden for full 30metre sprints is so special. They are definitely not house bun types & I can't imagine how they would feel being confined.

Unfortunately I expect they will have to be confined in their shed until the weekend (at least) when I will be able to do a full security audit.... I assumed Tulip jumped over the fence but there is a possibility she tunnelled out somewhere - possibly into next door & then transitioning into the fields - there has been some tunnelling activity in certain areas.

this is the first occurrence of this nature in 15yrs, 6 rabbits.

drinks have been had.

Mike, as you know we have chickens. They are allowed several times a day for quite long periods to free range, but only when we are in the garden as we have experienced fox attacks. It is possible to train chickens not to go outside the garden, even though there are several entrances to the garden and also they could get through the hedge.

One sunny afternoon last Summer a car pulled up outside the house and I went round to see what they wanted. A woman said she was just about to knock, as a brown chicken was in the road :shock:

So I sort of know how you feel. We have never known them to do anything like this before or after the incident.

Smudge used to free range in Mum and Dad’s garden when I moved back home. Yep, there was a risk as we’d go out and leave her all day (it was well enclosed, but that doesn’t rule out predators) , but I totally agree, for me the benefits outweighed the risks. I think we all have to make our own judgement as to what is right for our situation and we should respect that. Poor Tulip being put into lockdown though, she just wanted to join in with the rest of the world!

Omg [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51] I'd have had a heart attack [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I am so glad you were able to get her safely home. She does not look tall enough to jump that high. She owes you her life.

I used to love watching mine free range when we had a big lovely (rented) garden. We had one mishap too

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456081-Joey-got-chased-by-a-cat-last-night-(

Based on the views to support ratio, I did feel a little "judged"

Risk assessing is important but so is quality of everyday life. I hope Ms Tulip is coping with her lockdown & reflecting on her actions
Atticus got chased by a cat, Clementine was there and she scared the cat as I was running over... Have you ever seen a rabbit square up and stand like a dog? Because that's what she did whilst charging at the cat, never seen a cat look so scared [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] poor Atticus when into a hide and was spooked, Clementine is just not to be messed with it would seem [emoji38]

These things happen!

Atticus got chased by a cat, Clementine was there and she scared the cat as I was running over... Have you ever seen a rabbit square up and stand like a dog? Because that's what she did whilst charging at the cat, never seen a cat look so scared [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] poor Atticus when into a hide and was spooked, Clementine is just not to be messed with it would seem [emoji38]

These things happen!

I've seen similar vids of youtube, protecting her man :love: Rudeys previous mum said he liked to square up to cats, I can't see him squaring up to anything these days bless him

I've seen similar vids of youtube, protecting her man :love: Rudeys previous mum said he liked to square up to cats, I can't see him squaring up to anything these days bless him
Bless him [emoji38][emoji38] Atticus is a huge pansy, so are Apricot and Penelope tbh [emoji38]

Back