• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of rehoming Jelly

Alicia

Mama Doe
This might be a long post sorry. I’ve lost 4 rabbits in the last year, 2 of them were unrelated to anything but on two occasions I’ve brought a new rabbit in only for it to die around 2/3 weeks later, no sign of illness etc. I looked into having a post mortem done on the last rabbit but the vet seemed reluctant on the phone and said that as I didn’t know exactly when the rabbit had died it may not be doable and also he said it may not give me any answers anyway. I was quite upset and had some other things on my mind too so I let it go but I decided to not get any more rabbits as I couldn’t work out how they’d died. I still have Jelly and she lives alone in the shed but I don’t spend much time with her, being a house rabbit probably isn’t an option really. She’s got a big shed and is fed, watered and cuddled and also goes outside daily when the weathers good (I’m trying to work out a way to attach a run to the shed) but I just feel like a life alone isn’t fair on her. Shes only 2, maybe 3. I can’t bear to rehome her but I’d be keeping her for selfish reasons, and I’m not sure what to do :( thank you if you got this far!

This might be a long post sorry. I’ve lost 4 rabbits in the last year, 2 of them were unrelated to anything but on two occasions I’ve brought a new rabbit in only for it to die around 2/3 weeks later, no sign of illness etc. I looked into having a post mortem done on the last rabbit but the vet seemed reluctant on the phone and said that as I didn’t know exactly when the rabbit had died it may not be doable and also he said it may not give me any answers anyway. I was quite upset and had some other things on my mind too so I let it go but I decided to not get any more rabbits as I couldn’t work out how they’d died. I still have Jelly and she lives alone in the shed but I don’t spend much time with her, being a house rabbit probably isn’t an option really. She’s got a big shed and is fed, watered and cuddled and also goes outside daily when the weathers good (I’m trying to work out a way to attach a run to the shed) but I just feel like a life alone isn’t fair on her. Shes only 2, maybe 3. I can’t bear to rehome her but I’d be keeping her for selfish reasons, and I’m not sure what to do :( thank you if you got this far!

I think if taking on another Rabbit is not an option for you then rehoming Jelly would be in her best interests, If she could be a house Rabbit being single would not be quite so bad but generally speaking all Rabbits need a companion of their own kind.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-companionship/

As Jelly is so young she could live another 10 years alone. I am sorry you find yourself in this position, but I think you know that keeping Jelly outdoors and alone for the rest of her life is really not fair on her. I am sure you will do the right thing by her, however hard it will be for you xx

I'm really sorry that you find yourself in this situation. Given her young age, I agree with Janes comments above, if you really can't adopt a companion for her, then maybe the kindest thing would be to re home her. So sorry xx

I agree with what Jane has said. I’m so sorry you are in this situation :cry:xx

In your circumstances, I think I would try again with adopting another bun as a partner for Jelly. Sadly, it is unfortunate and just bad luck that the previous buns died.

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. I keep getting upset about this, I’m not sure what to do. The two I had before were babies, the rescue I got my cat from and a rabbit in the past has got a rabbit viewing day tomorrow, and I’m wondering about going. The rabbits are all fully vaccinated and Jelly is too, the babies that died weren’t because I wanted them to settle in first. I’m so worried about bringing another rabbit home and it dying but the thought of rehoming Jelly really upsets me. I know I need to put her needs first and not be selfish ,

Thank you everyone. I keep getting upset about this, I’m not sure what to do. The two I had before were babies, the rescue I got my cat from and a rabbit in the past has got a rabbit viewing day tomorrow, and I’m wondering about going. The rabbits are all fully vaccinated and Jelly is too, the babies that died weren’t because I wanted them to settle in first. I’m so worried about bringing another rabbit home and it dying but the thought of rehoming Jelly really upsets me. I know I need to put her needs first and not be selfish ,

It sounds to me that you'd like to keep Jelly & get her a friend but are understandably scared owing to the horrendous year you've had. If thats the case I'd adopt another bunny, ensure they are fully vaccinated . I think you said in another thread there are some changes you would make re:what to clean their stuff with. Could you use are run-around to connect the 2? x

I think that’s it. I love owning rabbits and seeing a pair/group cuddled up is the best. I put her in the run today thinking she’d enjoy it and she did eat some grass but she was like a deer in headlights and it made me sad. I have changed to a pet safe spray to clean the floor in the shed, but that’s all I’ve changed and I’m worried it won’t be enough. I’m thinking about going to this open day and explaining it all to someone at the rescue and see what they say. I could use a run around, I forgot about them I’ll have a look

I think that’s it. I love owning rabbits and seeing a pair/group cuddled up is the best. I put her in the run today thinking she’d enjoy it and she did eat some grass but she was like a deer in headlights and it made me sad. I have changed to a pet safe spray to clean the floor in the shed, but that’s all I’ve changed and I’m worried it won’t be enough. I’m thinking about going to this open day and explaining it all to someone at the rescue and see what they say. I could use a run around, I forgot about them I’ll have a look

Great idea - they might even agree to visit, it could be reassuring to have a 2nd pair of eyes on everything. I do think it'd be a shame for you to rehome Jelly when she has a lovely home with you (esp once she has a friend) & you can give that to another bunny too. I also feel this would be a sad "exit" to your bunny owning days, almost as those you're blaming yourself & you really shouldn't.

Going to the Rescue sounds an excellent idea!

Last edited:
I completely agree with Motty, joey&boo and Babsie, for all the reasons that they have given.

Go and talk to the people at the rescue and explain the circumstances. They will be able to discuss all the issues with you and give you their advice.

Good luck and let us know how you get on ;):love:

Back