• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth issue

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

We've just noticed Pips lower front teeth are ridiculously long and have over grown and sticking out of her mouth. She won't let me near her to check on the top teeth!!! I'm worried they are sticking into her mouth!

She is eating and pooping and being her normal self. I'm going to take her to our vet first thing tomorrow.

I feel awful and I don't understand how we haven't noticed it until now! She's struggling to pick up her pellets, but I'm sure she was fine yesterday. I know they can't suddenly grow over night but that's what it feels like.

Feeling like a bad bunny mummy and want to sort it straight away but I'd rather take her to my normal vets than the emergency ones as they are more rabbit savvy.

Hi everyone,

We've just noticed Pips lower front teeth are ridiculously long and have over grown and sticking out of her mouth. She won't let me near her to check on the top teeth!!! I'm worried they are sticking into her mouth!

She is eating and pooping and being her normal self. I'm going to take her to our vet first thing tomorrow.

I feel awful and I don't understand how we haven't noticed it until now! She's struggling to pick up her pellets, but I'm sure she was fine yesterday. I know they can't suddenly grow over night but that's what it feels like.

Feeling like a bad bunny mummy and want to sort it straight away but I'd rather take her to my normal vets than the emergency ones as they are more rabbit savvy.

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that Pip seems to have significant Dental problems. I hope that her molar teeth are not effected too. There is some information about Incisor malocclusion on here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

https://www.mypetsdentist.com/rabbit-incisor-malocclusion.pml

Good luck at the Vets

You are NOT a bad bunny moma - no way, not you. You care for Lord archie and Lady Pip with unbelivable skills - and your photo posts prove this.
Your absolutely doing the right thing taking her to the vet tomorrow - and sending loads of vibes for Pip tomorrow and hope that the vets can provide a diagnosis and treatment for Pip. xx

Thanks Jane and Craig. I feel sick to my stomach. It just seems so odd. I don't think she's hurt herself in anyway. I was worrying about jaw fractures etc.

But she's acting normal and the teeth do look too long, so I'm guessing somehow they got misaligned. She eats so much hay as well!!!!

I'm going to have to leave her at the vets all day so I can go to work. I hope they can fit her in to be treated.

Trying not to fret, but it worry mode.

I know that feeling all too well. And you know why you feel like that? Because you care and you love. I wish I had a magic solution to how you feel - but it's how our bodies react when we care about someone who has an ailment that we cann't resolve ourselves straight away. It's easy for me to say (and goodness knows I've done it so many times myself) but try not to beat yourself up. The vet will diagnose and hopefully treat tomorrow. Hugs from us here for you. xx

I'm so sorry to read that Pip has teeth issues. I know it's easier said than done, but please try not to beat yourself up over this. When you have a bunny who's a really good hay eater I think it's natural to assume that overgrown teeth isn't something you have to worry about.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that there is some malocclusion going on here. Unfortunately nobody knows they have a dental bunny until they have their first "incident". It also doesn't help when the bun in question is perfectly fine in themselves and are eating and pooping normally as it gives us absolutely no clue there's a problem brewing!

Lots of vibes for Pip's appointment tomorrow xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. She's chilling with Archie on her giant cushion. She's perfectly fine in herself. Which is calming me a little.

Thanks for the vibes. I'll let you know how we get on tomorrow. Hopefully it's just a one off issue.

Several years ago my spouse was given my late Dancer because her front teeth did not wear properly. Since rear teeth not an issue, vet was able to trim without sedation. At first top and bottom trimmed, then only tops needed trim every 6 to 8 weeks. Dancer born with, yet other bunnies get from age or injury.
Sending you vibes.for a good vet exam.

Pips back at home! She's had her front teeth burred and her back teeth checked.

Back teeth were perfect, so not the cause, also no signs of disease etc. So we don't know why they misaligned. One vet suggested age, but she's only 4. So I'm not convinced by that.

We've got a free dental checkup booked for 6 weeks. We're hoping they will grow straight again and wear naturally.

She's currently scoffing her pellets and acting like a normal Pip. I think Archie was more traumatized.

Thanks for all your support.

I’m sorry I missed this. I’m really glad she is home :love: hope that her teeth don’t cause her any more problems.

That is wonderful news - and the fact lady Pip is tucking into her food is a huge positive. You'll be asking yourself what caused the issues - and sometimes you just don't get an answer but the fact that your vet acted quickly and has made Lady Pip better.
See what happens at the 6 week check up - but I would wager my pension that you'll be checking lady Pips teeth every few days up to then.
Great positive update - I am so pleased for you and sending nose rubs to lady Pip. xx

Thanks everyone. She's currently munching on some oat hay. It's nice to see it going in properly and not all lopsided like last night.

My first rabbit had incisor issues, he needed them clipping (yep, clipping! Oh the 1990s!) every 8-12m from the age of about 7 and it was about as traumatic as a claw clip, although in his face so he reacted worse at first. He was a Nethie. Only his top teeth were clipped, his bottom teeth were OK! They curled outwards along the jawline, up and into his jaw, which is when we first noticed them and we felt awful too. We got them pretty much as soon as they parted after that :) Hope Pip's doing well still and sorts herself out: maybe she's sticking her chin put in disgust at not getting more treats? ;P

Back