• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies are expensive

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Now most of the bunnies paperwork is in one place I've just totted up their 2019 vet bills, £1169.68 (not incl metacam by post & any mislaid receipts) :shock:
I was going to check out email receipts for hay, food, critical care, potions & powders for Rudey but thought better of it. No wonder I'm perpetually skint:lol:

Does any one else do bunny accounting & actually know their outgoings? From the treatment plans some bunnies are on I know mine will be miniscule compared to others

I've had that with chinchillas. I have a huge thick file full of invoices going back 10 years, I've never added them up. I know it comes over £10,000 but at least we got back half on insurance.

Now most of the bunnies paperwork is in one place I've just totted up their 2019 vet bills, £1169.68 (not incl metacam by post & any mislaid receipts) :shock:
I was going to check out email receipts for hay, food, critical care, potions & powders for Rudey but thought better of it. No wonder I'm perpetually skint[emoji38]

Does any one else do bunny accounting & actually know their outgoings? From the treatment plans some bunnies are on I know mine will be miniscule compared to others

Yea, they each have a folder, which has all their receipts, vaccine records, microchip info etc.

Clementine is winning, Atticus second, Apricot is in third position and Penelope is last (the only time coming in last is best [emoji38])

I don't bother with supplies, that's mainly online or in a shop, that's just part of our monthly expenses. Like I know how many bales of hay we need per month roughly unless there's some kinda disaster where we need more because someone's unwell or something. Same with litter pellets, veg, special feeds etc so it's basically a rough amount per month which only increases if someone's unwell or needs something different. Their monthly bill for general maintenance and upkeep is pretty damn expensive already, forgetting vet bills [emoji38][emoji38]

Yea buns are not a cheap animal to keep imo [emoji38] pretty sure owning a dog was cheaper [emoji51]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yep, had to remortgage my house a few years ago in order to keep up with Vet Bills. Another reason why I do not have as many Rabbits now !!

I've never added up my outgoings on the bunnies. I'd much rather remain in blissful ignorance. Although I do remember a time when my credit card took quite a battering!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Yes, for budgeting purposes (can I afford to do X job on Y salary etc.) but mine are ludicrously cheap. Aboleth probably cost me just over £1000 over her lifetime with us (4.25yrs), over half of which was her final days :love: Lopsy's already had his 'big expense' so he better not have another one ;P :lol: The joy of healthy bunnies!

Joeys quite cheap:lol: He's had one stasis episode & 2 straight forward dentals 4 years apart. All other vets apps have been health checks & vacs. I've nearly had him 8 years

Yep, I keep records and know to the penny h for vets, food, and home they cost. Dillion was over £3k last year. I do not have insurance but move a sum of money each month into a pet account - thankfullly Susan and the cats had not had that much spending!

Yep, I keep records and know to the penny h for vets, food, and home they cost. Dillion was over £3k last year. I do not have insurance but move a sum of money each month into a pet account - thankfullly Susan and the cats had not had that much spending!

wow, you really did try everything for Dilly :( xx

We totted up our vet bills last year for Hillian and I gave up when it went past £4.5k. Lillian had the majority of that and Henry's final vet bill before he sadly passed in January was almost £800. That includes the various medicines that they had. I opted not to do insurance but had some monthly plan that gave me some discount off vet consultations and some medication and I get free RHD/Myxy jabs and panacur but the total cost of the vets bills last year was funded by us. I don't begrudge it in any way - I would pay that again if I was able to have Henry back, but it does show what rabbits can cost. My view, rightly or wrongly, is that vetinary practices are priced on the assumption that pets are insured. There's no way an x-ray costs £400.
Monthly outgoings on sundries like megazorb and hay/straw run to about £20 a month - which I admit is cheap but that's one of the perks I have for working at a family pet and country store. Weekly greens and herbs run to about £10-15.
But we do it because we are all unselfish and we want to make a difference to the animals we take into our care. We accept the responsibility and put the needs of those pets before our own needs because they need our support. We've given our rabbits a second chance and I for one accept that there are circumstances which will arise that I must then act on, regardless of my own situation. Love has many faces, and we all demonstrate that towards our rabbits. It's what makes us special rabbit 'parents'.

Yup. Basil is now at £1100 and counting for a very tricky ear infection, argh! But he’s gorgeous and has massive feet so we let him off ;-)

I wouldn't even want to count :shock:

Phillip got to £2000 in 2018 and that's just what we claimed on the insurance before it maxed out!

Snowy wasn't insured but got to at least £1000 last year in vet bills alone. She gave our credit card a battering several times during her life with us.

But I wouldn't change a thing, I'd do anything for my animals :love:

I've never stopped to add it all up, the food, cat supplements, vets bills, madams pedicures, I would probably be shocked if I did. But to be honest, I don't care, as long as I can pay it I will. I would rather go without myself, they are worth every penny to me.

I've never stopped to add it all up, the food, cat supplements, vets bills, madams pedicures, I would probably be shocked if I did. But to be honest, I don't care, as long as I can pay it I will. I would rather go without myself, they are worth every penny to me.

Yea I feel this way :)

I just pay as and when needed. i'd rather not know the total [emoji38]
We do that too, but with Clementine and Atticus and all their health issues and management requirements it adds up, so we keep track a bit more [emoji38] Clementine is well over 7k atm [emoji51] which sounds kinda mad, but it soon adds up. She's had a lot of care though and help with stuff, wouldn't change anything, the nightly grooms make everything worth it, as does seeing her fuzzy face each morning [emoji38]

I wouldn't change a thing either :love: they are & always have been my greatest joy - I don't need anything for me other than to know they are as happy, healthy & protected as possible

I don't have bunnies any more but Alfie (my 'dearest' bunny) was relatively cheap compared to some of the costs mentioned here. I never used to add it up though, just paying each individual bill was painful enough. [emoji23][emoji23]

We have a total care plan now for the cats and it's so much less stressful. £43 a month each and no worries about any vet costs, not even an excess. We added up how much Freddie would have cost us in his first year and, although I can't remember actual figures, we were quids in.

We have 5 cats and then R'Stan the bun.
All insured. Stan is the only rabbit we have ever insured. Ozzie who we lost last year totted up over £500 before we lost him.
Our outlay monthly in petplan is £120 but we have used it nearly every year that we have had it. Cats have tipped £1000 more than once.

I like that I can say yes lets try that with a vet and hopefully give the pet the best chance. Yes we could have a good holiday each year instead but thats only 14 days. Pets are 365.

My vet unfortunately has a pay first claim after policy but with Stan I asked if there was any kind of plan and they were agreeable to doing direct claim. Think they need to be confident in the client first. They are a small practice.

I shudder to think how much I have spent over the years on cats and rabbits. It will be upteen thousands. But to me its worth it. Although Stan is last bunny standing and the cats wont be replaced until we are at the point of being without......unless something turns up at the door:lol:

Back