• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Carrying Mouse

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
About an hour ago Mousey gathered a good bundle of hay in her mouth then ambled round the room with it but didn't let go. After 15 mins I offered her a treat & she loosened her grip on the hay, let me gently remove it & ate her treat. Mouse is an old girl & has never done this before. Should I be worried?

aWFhE8Fl.jpg

ZEfZS1Gl.jpg

bfBPWz2l.jpg

Aww she looks extremely cute :love: Tui has done it at least twice, but not recently. It was though a long time after she had been spayed i.e. several months.

I guess she would have deposited it at the end of the litter tray to make a nest. That's what Tui did anyway.

About an hour ago Mousey gathered a good bundle of hay in her mouth then ambled round the room with it but didn't let go. After 15 mins I offered her a treat & she loosened her grip on the hay, let me gently remove it & ate her treat. Mouse is an old girl & has never done this before. Should I be worried?

aWFhE8Fl.jpg
[/IMG]

ZEfZS1Gl.jpg
[/IMG]

bfBPWz2l.jpg
[/IMG]

Oh bless her :(

Not necessarily worried, I'd watch her though (I'm sure you are) was she building anything? Or just carrying a little around? Has she forgotten all about it now? Or did she go straight back to gathering hay after the treat? Has Rudey been uhh extra affectionate recently? [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh bless her, she is very sweet. Sorry can't offer any advice, maybe it's just a one off ? hope so anyway.

Thanks everyone. She just carried it, looked like she might deposit it in the tunnel, under the chair & in her dog bed litter tray but she didn't. She looked a tad confused after, had a snooze, back in litter tray to actually eat hay & now back to snoozing

A momentary, maternal whim then :) Good girl Mouse, you don't want to be bothered by things like that at your age :)

I concur. I think she might have had a senile moment. I said to Bob last night "do you reckon she could have dementia", cue extreme eye ball rolling. Rudey looked so confused when she was doing it too:lol:

I’m glad she is ok :love: I don’t know why, for a split second , I was expecting an actual mouse carrying hay, I need more sleep :lol:

I’m glad she is ok :love: I don’t know why, for a split second , I was expecting an actual mouse carrying hay, I need more sleep :lol:

not a unreasonable assumption given the title :lol: I was trying to avoid the use of the word nesting

Only if it goes on to happen a lot :)

I suppose her indecision about where to put it down might also be indicative of a senior-mothering moment?

What beautiful photos and such an astounding moment. We'd love to get inside the mindset of our rabbits and pets. I'm sure Mouse had her reason - she;s just keeping it a secret.:love:

programming

I concur. I think she might have had a senile moment. I said to Bob last night "do you reckon she could have dementia", cue extreme eye ball rolling. Rudey looked so confused when she was doing it too:lol:
dear joey&boo,-when we are programmed/hard wired,traits habits are still necessary.i think of people in retirement villa,s-who dream of things they used to do,and may even try..my father"disabled"-used to trap moles"phycotic"-found himself setting a mole trap and not able to get up-off the ground-,neighbor took pitty on him and took him inside.-I suppose it was dementia and insistance-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:love::wave:

She did look sweet but obviously that was tinged with concern

dear joey&boo,-when we are programmed/hard wired,traits habits are still necessary.i think of people in retirement villa,s-who dream of things they used to do,and may even try..my father"disabled"-used to trap moles"phycotic"-found himself setting a mole trap and not able to get up-off the ground-,neighbor took pitty on him and took him inside.-I suppose it was dementia and insistance-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:love::wave:

Thank James, that perspective does make sense

Back