• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please stop chewing!

The Fonz

Warren Scout
Hi all!!

I'm sorry if I'm repeating a post that's already been on here, but I'm in desperate need of some help! The Fonz will not stop eating the wallpaper and chewing the skirting boards! Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to make her stop?

I hope you all have a fantastic day tomorrow!! Merry Christmas!!

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Tut, tut! There are a couple of ways to approach the problem. I recommend all of them and fingers crossed at least one works :D

Deterants: Block off any favourite areas so she can't get at them and use spays like bitter apple that are meant to put off chewing animals.

Make your displeasure known: If you catch her in the act say no and clap your hands or give her a quick spray of water. If she persists pick her up (no cuddles) and move her away, if she has a cage pop her back in there for a brief time out.

Diversions: Bunnies need to chew! Their teeth grow and its natural for them to spend the better part of the day munching something. Give her card board boxes, fruit branches, knaw blocks, willow toys, treat balls, baby rattles etc. to throw and chew. Have a toy box and rotate what toys she has she so doesn't get bored with them.

Redecorating: In future go for paint rather than wall paper ;) Or you can put up clear perspex over the bottom of walls to protect paper.

Good luck!
Tam

A couple of people I've spoken to said their buns actually LIKED the bitter apple stuff...they said cologne/perfume worked much better...lol

Maaike_Butter said:
A couple of people I've spoken to said their buns actually LIKED the bitter apple stuff...they said cologne/perfume worked much better...lol

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, mine too :roll:

same trouble here... Ollies chewed a lovely pattern on the bottom of my mums kitchen walls! :oops: (ssshhh, she hasnt noticed yet) :? :roll:

I made up my own solution of mustard and water and put it in an old spray bottle, it works wonders and the holes havent got any worse!

Ours have loved every animal repellent we've tried, and we've tried a lot. After spraying the sofa, Chips would immediately jump up and start licking it all off. I think it must be the bunny equivalent of marmite.

Clear plastic over the affected areas would mean the house would look less scruffy, but it's also a bit pricier than a big lump of wood. Easy to clean though.

spray bottle with water worked a treat with me... the few times he has had a nibble ive swuirted him and he hasnt done it since :lol:

Thanks guys! I've never thought of a spray bottle before... I already let her know that she's doing something wrong by shouting OI!!! and nudging her away from the area, but then she'll go back once I'm all settled again! She'll have a chew and as soon as she makes a noise she'll quickly turn around and sit & look at me as though she's done nothing! :lol: I'm giggling away now, but my dad isn't too impressed!! tee hee!! She has toys, too but she doesn't seem to pay much attention to them. Is there any way to get her to chew her toys rather than the rest of the room? I'll try some bitter apple spray, too. How about lemon and water? Do you think that would work? If I try Olbas oil, do I get the essential oil and just dilute it in water? The chewing stopped for a while after we got her spayed, but now it's all started again! She's such a little madam!! :lol:

Thanks again for all your advice!! Merry Christmas!! :D
Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Fonz_reading_the_paper0001.jpg

What sort of toys does she have, some buns like different things. Try encorporating food into them. In the wild bunnies much all day to get the food they need, we give them concentrate so it only takes minutes. If you make it take longer to munch dinner then she'll have less time for munching on walls.

Tam

She has this wooden cheese-shaped block that I could put treats and veggies in, and she has one of those bounce-back bunnies that you put food in the middle of. She's also got one of those balls that you put treats in & they come out when you roll the ball, but she's never been interested in that one at all! She's got tonnes of ordinary bunny chew toys, too. You just got me thinking about a box... she loves jumping in to boxes and stuff and I've just bought her a castle from Bunnymail, so perhaps if I make her more hidey places she'll use those instead of chewing the house! :D

Thanks, Tam!

Take care & Blessed Be!

The Fonz said:
She's also got one of those balls that you put treats in & they come out when you roll the ball, but she's never been interested in that one at all!

My girls love that one so much, they've chewed one of the raised carrot bits off the ball itself... :?

I love that photo :lol: :lol: :lol: She looks like she is keeping one eye on you and saying "how quickly can I chew this before she comes and clouts me
laughing.gif

I love that photo She looks like she is keeping one eye on you and saying "how quickly can I chew this before she comes and clouts me

lol!! :lol: This picture reflects her personality so well!! She's so adorable!!! :love:

Here's the mess she made! :lol:

Fonz_reading_the_paper0002.jpg

My girls love that one so much, they've chewed one of the raised carrot bits off the ball itself...
I think Fonzie played with it once....! :lol:

Maaike_Butter said:
The Fonz said:
She's also got one of those balls that you put treats in & they come out when you roll the ball, but she's never been interested in that one at all!

My girls love that one so much, they've chewed one of the raised carrot bits off the ball itself... :?
funny that so have mine!!!!!!!

bluebunny said:
Maaike_Butter said:
The Fonz said:

funny that so have mine!!!!!!!

Hehehehe. Binky thought she was sooooo clever when she worked out how the ball worked...she looked at me like "I'm soooooo smart, you're nothing compared to me, human!"

Hiya

I give Zeus and Athena a large cardboard box and they love chewing it up, I had to give them a new one for christmas, they also love the willow chewsticks I got from West Wales Willow - most of the other chew toys they ignore.

Since giving them boxes (with little doors cut in) they have stopeed destroying the vaccum cleaner which is kept near them!

Caz

I hope nobody takes offence at me laughing but I am in stitches here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You know I can't offer any advice but the whole thing reminds me on bringing up KIDS.....seems just like the same thing...they have to be taught that they mustn't do this that and the next thing!!! The water in the squirty bottle appeals to me ever so much
laughing.gif
I think we might be on to something here.....could we patent it do you think...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marlene said:
I hope nobody takes offence at me laughing but I am in stitches here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You know I can't offer any advice but the whole thing reminds me on bringing up KIDS.....seems just like the same thing...they have to be taught that they mustn't do this that and the next thing!!! The water in the squirty bottle appeals to me ever so much
laughing.gif
I think we might be on to something here.....could we patent it do you think...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure kids would appreciate www chewsticks though! :lol:

Caz

Not sure kids would appreciate www chewsticks though!

lol!!! :lol:

Cardboard boxes and a water squirt thingy sound like perfect ideas! She got that Chateau Lapin from Bunnymail, and we put it up for her on Christmas day, but I don't think she's quite used to it yet (I'll post pictures when we have them developed! :D)! She loves nosing around in anything we bring in to the living room, so we're going to give that a go!! Thanks so much for all your advice! I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas and have a superb New Year!!

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma (& Fonzie!) XxXxX

Back