• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnie erm time of the month care?

AmberUK

Alpha Buck
I swear I just nearly had a heart attack. I went into my housemates room and said is it bad if bunnies bleeding. I had gone and seen bunnies and there was a splat of blood like it had been sneezed out. Turns out it was a girl thing if you see what I mean.

Is there any special care I should give? Less cleaning? Avoid food with iron?

Umm, bunnies don't have a time of the month. If you have a bun thats bleeding thats not a normal thing.

Tam

Boy am I glad you said that, Tamsin, I was questioning my knowledge there!

Does are what's called "induced ovulators", meaning that they ovulate when they've been mated. Unlike humans, dogs, etc, which ovulate on a more "cycled" basis...

That bunny needs to go to the vet. NOW

I spoke (briefly) on the phone to the rescue I got the bunnie off. Shes uneutered and he said its normal and they go through it alot. Do rabbits reabsorb the lining of the womb? I know some animals do. He said it was basically her period (ie time of the month) but its hard to know if he was being vague cos he was embarressed

No, Rabbits do not go through menstruation, as Maakie says they are induced ovulators. As they only ovulate when they are mated they do not build up a lining of the womb at any other time, except as when they have ovulated (been mated) they actually keep the lining as they are pregnant.
The blood can definitley not have been this.
HTH

I'd book her in to be spayed asap as rabbits do not menstruate it could be a sign of uterine cancer which affects large numbers of unspayed does, if this is the cause spaying will prevent it spreading if done early enough.

Don't panic though, spaying would be a precaution, it could be something totally innocent, but better safe than sorry.

yvonne

I would definately give your vet a call and discuss it with them. Better now than ending up with an emergency tommorow :)

sorry its not a massive amount of blood. I would say less than 1ml a tiny tiny amout. I am confused cos the guy whose a breeder and had a rescue says he sees this alot.

Yvonne said:
I'd book her in to be spayed asap as rabbits do not menstruate it could be a sign of uterine cancer which affects large numbers of unspayed does, if this is the cause spaying will prevent it spreading if done early enough.

Don't panic though, spaying would be a precaution, it could be something totally innocent, but better safe than sorry.

yvonne

please give me the exact figures and all the orginal info to back this up please. I have asked for it a number of times and noone on here can give me the info I require. If I suguested that people went out and go spayed on the word of mouth info that rabbits are I would be called a facist.

Sorry to say but there shouldn't be any amount of blood, not even a drop. This rabbit needs to see a vet. I can't understand why a breeder would tell you this is normal. As Tam says, better to be seen today rather than emergency tomorrow :wink:

Because he says he oftern gets it. I thought at first she has sneezed it, it was that tiny and in that pattern (almost like wee and very very little and in a spray pattern) There is no discharge and nothing coming out of her. She also had a very thourgh exam not a month ago, where I made sure they double checked for this as I have heard all the stories.

The main cause of death in unspeyed does is uterine cancer. It causes death by the age of five. That's how they die in the wild. Very sad, and does NOT make for happy bunnies.

This is NOT normal, she's NOT having her period. Her womb is totally inactive, with no lining to speak of, until fertilisation has taken place AFTER her ovulation is induced. This guy, whoever he is, is full of cr*p, and is telling you LIES.

Some links:
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/uterine.htm (that's a very good one)
a collection of links: [/img]http://www.uvm.edu/~jdion/pets/spay.html

I could keep going, I'm even tempted to quote a textbook, but I'll leave it for now.

Seriously, this is SERIOUS BUSINESS...

I was just thinking that. Rabbits can sometimes have very red/orange wee, could this be what your mistaking as blood?

Tam

bunnyhuggger said:
Are you sure it's blood? Could it be wee?

bunnyhugger, your right I think I gave them too many carrots last night. Thanks for making me see that.

Thanks for all your ideas, I don't think I require to talk about this anymore.

I'll back that up Tamsin, they can have a very reddy wee, as mine does. It is caused by carritin (sp) from carrots. I would definatly take your rabbit the vets just to put your mind at rest.
If the breeder has told you he see's this a lot it could be a hereditarory (sp) disease/problem that flows through his rabbits.

Hehehe, that reminds me of when I panicked because Xena was weeing "blood"...I'm so irrational...I knew it was normal, just red wee...I'm such a spaz...lol

Im sorry but if it was wee trust me you would know and it wouldnt just be a small amount miffy and lilac both have very red/orange but they dont just do it every now and then its like it everyday
so like everyone else has said i think this rabbit should see a vet

Back