• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spinal Disk Compression

k1984

Mama Doe
Pete has been diagnosed with spinal disk compression. He had suddenly become incontinent with urine and wobbly on his back legs (although he is still able to move, stand upon his rear legs to wash his face and give me a good stomp when I've given him his meds). He was started on panacur, but vet has ruled out EC and under thorough examination has been diagnosed with spinal disk compression. Prognosis is management of his condition now and monitoring his pain levels (at the moment he appears bright and happy, interested in moving about and food), but at any point this changes then we will have to discuss his quality of life. I'm devastated.

I’m really sorry to read this. But hope that the vet can find a manageable action plan that helps Pete‘a compressed disc.
Sending loads of vibes for your boy.xx

I'm not going to lie...after the week I've had, what with the lionheads too, and this...I'm feeling completely overwhelmed. x

Massive hugs., its scary when they get ill & even more scary when we get a diagnosis. Lots of well wishes for Pete xx

Thank you everyone for your replies. Means a lot, especially as this week has really taken it's toll on me....seems like everything has come at once. My beautiful bonded group has now had to be broken up. Pete will remain indoors for the remainder of his life due to his needs now. I've chosen Buttons to stay with him as the two are close and they both need the company. My four lionheads are still indoors at the moment. Namely due to Princess's stitches from being at the vets and tearing her skin. I will have to rebond these four back to Greyie and Bear outside in the shed.
I guess with all the changes in care, worry, vet bills, breaking bonds/planning rebonds, ongoing care etc...all within the space of a week has been very stressful. Had a few little cries here and there. I suppose with pets, you have to take the rough with the smooth, but my goodness...it's hard. x

Thank you everyone for your replies. Means a lot, especially as this week has really taken it's toll on me....seems like everything has come at once. My beautiful bonded group has now had to be broken up. Pete will remain indoors for the remainder of his life due to his needs now. I've chosen Buttons to stay with him as the two are close and they both need the company. My four lionheads are still indoors at the moment. Namely due to Princess's stitches from being at the vets and tearing her skin. I will have to rebond these four back to Greyie and Bear outside in the shed.
I guess with all the changes in care, worry, vet bills, breaking bonds/planning rebonds, ongoing care etc...all within the space of a week has been very stressful. Had a few little cries here and there. I suppose with pets, you have to take the rough with the smooth, but my goodness...it's hard. x

I’m sorry it’s been such a hard week :cry: you are doing the best you can for all of them, as always xx

I'm not going to lie...after the week I've had, what with the lionheads too, and this...I'm feeling completely overwhelmed. x
Most people would be overwhelmed in your situation.
Others have provided you with helpful information to deal with Pete's condition. Sending my support that you and your vet can develop a plan that allows him a lot of good quality time with you.

This is a video of Pete (brown) with Buttons (white). You can really see his movement here.

Untitled by Mrs M, on Flickr

I am sorry that your week has been full of so much Bunny stress. I can empathise.

Re Pete and his spinal problems, it may be better to consider a different substrate to keep him and Buttons on now as ,as mobility worsens hay can get tangled around the Bunny's hind legs. Not sure what indoor set up they have but cotton sheets over towels or vet bed may work. Just towels or vet bed alone can be a bit abrasive and accelerate fur loss over the hocks. Sore hocks are a common secondary issue for a Rabbit with spinal problems. Keeping a check on Pete's nails would be a good idea, hind leg toes can start to 'claw in' and if the nails are long they get caught up in fabrics etc. You could use hay racks for hay and something like aubiose for litter trays x

Back