• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any Suggestions??

sonnet

Alpha Buck
Hiya Everybody,

Having had time to go through all the boards now, I've started feeling bad that my outside bun is being deprived in regards of room. Although everyone I know thinks that I spoil him rotten (well that is true!) I've started wondering about trying to offer him more space. He's a Mini Rex breed.

At the moment he's got a 4 ft x 2ft x 2ft, two - tier hutch in the garden (it's well made and has extras such as insulation, slats and a cover aswell as loads of toys). In the Summer he has a A Frame run which he goes in when I'm in the garden with him. At other times he often comes in for 'house runs' regularly. I've been reluctant in the past to have him soley in a run unsupervised in the day as we have many neighbourhood cats and also foxes have been known to be close by on the green belt of land that my house overlooks (though none have ever entered my garden). I do know however that 2 rabbits were killed by a fox in daylight further along the greenbelt in a garden that backed on to it. :cry:

Now I'm thinking about trying to obtain a run (or something i can make in to a run) that attaches onto the bottom storey of his hutch so that he can have access to it in the day and if anything concerns him/he doesn't want to come out he can go back into the safety of his hutch. it would be on patio slabs. However the run needs to be a good, sturdy one that has a height of at least 32 ins (as his hutch is on legs and this is the space between the floor and the top of his downstairs hutch doors), also a roof and which can be easily moved so that I can get easy access for upstairs/cleaning out etc. I did notice the Wire Storage Cases that are being sold on Ebay that many of you have used and thought that was one option where I could construct a run suitable. What do you all think? Would this be a good option or can you recommend something/somewhere else that I can buy one with that height measurement? A shed is not an option due to lack of space. Alternatively, should i stay as I am because of the risk of danger from the cats/foxes? Help...! I'm feeling gulity and confused!!!! :?

Hi, the wire storage cubes are a b***** nightmare to put together and depending on he way you have them built can be a bit flimsy (either that or I just didn't put them up right) - I don't know how good they could be at detering a determined fox or cat - also the gaps between the mesh are quite big so a paw or leg could stretch in.

If you an I would go for a proper run - I know it is possibly going to be more expensive but I think it would be better in the long run. (no pun intended).

lol Pam

PS I now have two lots of wire storage cubes in the loft :oops:

Oh Pam, thanx for that - I won't go with that option then!

Thanx bunnyhugger - I'll contact them to see if that's an option of making one made to measure. Meantime if anyone else knows of anywhere good that could make/cater for runs that would suit Merlin's hutch then please let me know. Thanx everyone - have a great Christmas :rabbit2:

kimbun's mum said:
Hi, the wire storage cubes are a b***** nightmare to put together

Uh oh...I'm going for the storage cube option... :!:

Any chance I could take those two lots of cubes off your hands? :D

Maaike_Butter said:
kimbun's mum said:
Hi, the wire storage cubes are a b***** nightmare to put together

Uh oh...I'm going for the storage cube option... :!:

Any chance I could take those two lots of cubes off your hands? :D

:lol: Pam might want them to keep Gabby in................. :wink: