• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lunchtime friend :)

Graciee

Staff member
Anyone know what sort of bird? He/she was very friendly :)
ef7257937f7541e0a4ac60d572881a2a.jpg
f366cc0e4d19b22b77cdf505df1f4adf.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yes a starling,very pretty birds when seen up close.They have a sheen to their feathers.Adapted well to urban life and can be bold.Sadly like a lot of garden birds their numbers are in decline

Yes a starling,very pretty birds when seen up close.They have a sheen to their feathers.Adapted well to urban life and can be bold.Sadly like a lot of garden birds their numbers are in decline
Do you know if it's okay to feed them plain chicken? Google seems to think I mean actually chickens that are alive [emoji51][emoji51]

Wow! Mum says they rarely see starlings round their area of Essex, used to get loads all year round :(
You know I don't think I've ever seen one of these in Essex.. This one was in Camden.

We mainly have tiny birds and pigeons here [emoji38]

Now I know how a starling looks. I cannot believe it did not fly away.
We mostly get robins and sparrows; though we also see finches, hawks and blue jays once in a while. Last year I saw a few wild turkeys before they noticed me.

Sadly 70% drop in Starling figures Since the 70's :(
Is that from pesticides, urbanization, virus/bird flu, or something else?
A park not many miles from me had a pond with so many ducks or geese and their poop that the politicians took efforts to eliminate some.

Now I know how a starling looks. I cannot believe it did not fly away.
We mostly get robins and sparrows; though we also see finches, hawks and blue jays once in a while. Last year I saw a few wild turkeys before they noticed me.

That's London for you, the wildlife is bold and very used to people.

I've seen pigeons use the tube [emoji38]

Loss of habitat mainly .Starlings are urban birds as well as country.They feed mainly on leatherjackets (cranefly larvae) these are found in lawns when looking for food for their young.Lots of city gardens now covered in concrete for parking off road and wooden decking etc.

We get quite a lot of starlings here in Suffolk. Our garden used to get about 15-20 of them last year but they were quite invasive and chasing away smaller birds like the robins, sparrows and wrens that we get.
In the autumn and spring evenings, in certain parts of Suffolk, huge flocks of starlings gather - called, I believe, a mumeration, and fly round in the twighlight making quite stunning images. Google mumeration images and you'll see why.

Back