• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

moulting in december

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
any one know anything about rabbits moults? my rabbit has been moved from the shed into the garden but i covered by a plastic sheet..

for the last week he has been losing loads of fur clumps infact no bald patches but loads of fur. should he be moulting in december (cold weather) y other rabbit that is in the garden is not moulting or could there be something else wrong, he seems ok eating and that..

any help would be really good thanks

Maybe he is moulting into a new winter coat? I wouldnt worry too much.. rabbits moult alot. Unless he is scratching alot or has red patches i wouldnt have thought there is anything wrong with him. I'm sure others may have other ideas.

In winter they moult to rid themselves of the thin summer coat and gain a thick winter coat to keep them warm.
In summer they moult to get rid of the thick winter coat as it is now too warm for that so they gain a thinner one!

Very clever :lol:

thanks for that, one thing though i have a rabbit in the shed with her six babies and another rabbit in the garden who are not moulting so why is he moulting so perfusely and they are not?

bunnylove xxx

hi but the other rabbit that i have only had for 2.5 weeks lived in a pet shop for 10 weeks, he is now in the garden but i not moulting?

Some rabbits moult cleaner than others - I never notice Athena's moults but Zeus has great big clumps all over the place - he looks so scruffy when moulting!

Caz

One of mine has gone into moult - being a wild rabbit cross however she does everything differently to the others... :lol: So I am not really surprised!

Yours is probably growing a heavier coat - nothing to worry about unless there are other symptoms going with it.

Vera

Our House rabbits seem to moult a lot more than the outdoor rabbits...I guess it is the warm environment that triggers the fairly regular coat changes.
The outside rabbits need to hang on to their coats for as long as possible...all makes sense now :roll: :lol: :lol:

Don't forget that rabbits tend to shed/moult every three months. Especially indoor bunnies don't necessarily moult at a certain time of year, just every three months. It tends to be a minimal moult, followed by a heavy moult, followed by a minimal moult, etc.

bunnylove said:
ALL MY RABBITS LIVE OUTSIDE CAUSE I HAVE SO MANY. AND ONLY ONE IS MOULTING.WERID DONT YOU THINK! :?

Refer to my post above the one you just made. Sure, I said "especially indoor rabbits", but that doesn't exclude those living outside.

If it bothers you so much, take it to the vets...

Quite a few of mine are moulting. 1 of the indoor rabbits(Merlin) seems to constantly loose fur - white all over the kitchen mat and floating about evading the broom :roll: Sometimes it picks up pace, but it never seems to stop.
And the three Pymouth rabbits are all loosing lots of fur. I went out to the shed during the night a couple of nights ago and Strawberry jumped out as I went in. I turned around and caught him and put him back in and was left spluttering in a cloud of fur. There is a lot of fur on a giant rabbit!! This after the huge pile of fur I got out of him when I first got him and removed his matts. Acorn also leaves me plastered every time I pick him up. Clover just goes all tufty, with bits sticking out, not floating off.
Strangely the ones I have had for longer all have fine thick winter coats with no sign of moulting.

Fonzie is moulting like mad at the minute! She has these little tufts of hair that stick out near her bum and a little frilly skirt!! :lol: When we have a snuggle, those tufts come out and she leaves a pile of fur almost as big as her behind! Rabbits are so clever!

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

thats like mine i could brush forever and it makes no difference...... what do you do to prevent hair blockage through cleaning with all this moulting?

by the way merry xmas to all especially the wabbits xxxxx

I know this thread is years old but given Willow is an outdoor bun, in a shed/hutch. She looks as is she is moulting and the bad winter weather hasn't even arrived yet... do you think this is her making way for an even thicker winter coat then.. I have checked her and there's no evidence of skin irritation/wounds

Back