• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA/Blue Cross Advice

Beapig

Mama Doe
Does anyone know if the RSPCA or Blue Cross are happy to rehome in different parts of the country? We're looking for a buck to bond with Jellybean but want him to be a similar age to her (4 or 5) and all of the bunnies in our local branch (which is not very many bunnies at all) are all under 1 year old.

I've seen a few potential candidates an hour or two away....wondering if they're okay with that? I'm not sure if they do home checks. Our Cat was adopted from Cats Protection about 40 mins from our house and they didn't require a home check.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you :)

Does anyone know if the RSPCA or Blue Cross are happy to rehome in different parts of the country? We're looking for a buck to bond with Jellybean but want him to be a similar age to her (4 or 5) and all of the bunnies in our local branch (which is not very many bunnies at all) are all under 1 year old.

I've seen a few potential candidates an hour or two away....wondering if they're okay with that? I'm not sure if they do home checks. Our Cat was adopted from Cats Protection about 40 mins from our house and they didn't require a home check.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you :)

I've no experience with Blue Cross, but I think different RSPCA branches have different policies and so you would need to telephone the actual branch to find out what their views were.

Did Jill (honeybunnies) get back to you re Brewster?

I think it will come down to individual branches, their resources & how much they care. Joey & Boo came from different RSPCA branches, each about 40 -60 mins away & they were managed very differently. Joey was kept in the main centre in a pokey cage; they didn't offer bonding help although you could have an introductory date there. They did homecheck but I think this was divided up between volunteers who would have their own geographical area. Boos RSPCA (Altrincham) had a dedicated rabbit rehomer, came to homecheck herself etc , would have taken them both away to hers to bond if I'd let her- whilst awaiting forever homes they were fostered. Definitely worth calling more than one branch, as far as I can tell they vary as much as rescues do

Good luck in finding JB a husband

I got Tulip from Blue Cross (Tiverton branch in Devon). They were happy with pics rather than a home visit :)
- this was good as I just took pics of the best parts and didn't have to 'tidy up' too much.

they were still a bit fussy tho, made me do a couple of things that I thought was unnecessary.

I've no experience with Blue Cross, but I think different RSPCA branches have different policies and so you would need to telephone the actual branch to find out what their views were.

Did Jill (honeybunnies) get back to you re Brewster?

Thank you everyone for the advice! It sounds like it might be a bit hit and miss, then.

I haven't heard back from Jill, maybe I should DM her. Although I think Honeybunnies Rescue is a good three hours away from me. Wind Whistle Warren sounds like it may be a bit closer though. I'm in Cardiff by the way, if anyone has any recommendations for rescues closer to home.

I saw a lovely 5 year old male in our local Blue Cross branch but he got reserved on the day I called up.

I live in Surrey and adopted a bun from Doncaster to bond with Lilac once she was on her own. They asked for lots of pictures and asked me some questions but they were fine about it, even gave me a couple of follow up calls to check how we were getting on. The main thing I had to worry about was how he would travel as it was a 4 hour drive home but he was fine.

Thank you everyone for the advice! It sounds like it might be a bit hit and miss, then.

I haven't heard back from Jill, maybe I should DM her. Although I think Honeybunnies Rescue is a good three hours away from me. Wind Whistle Warren sounds like it may be a bit closer though. I'm in Cardiff by the way, if anyone has any recommendations for rescues closer to home.

I saw a lovely 5 year old male in our local Blue Cross branch but he got reserved on the day I called up.

Yes, I would send Jill a PM. I'm sure that she just didn't see your post. There are always people on here, who would be willing to do a 'bunny run' for you, but it would mean that you couldn't see the bunny before you adopted.

I'm pretty sure that The Sunny Bunnies on here volunteers for Windwhistle Warren. You could also PM her and ask which rabbits are available.

I found that when I was looking for a friend for Tethra, bunnies were very often reserved or no longer available when I telephoned rescues. I think that rescues are so busy that they often find little time to update their websites. It's best to contact a few direct I think and let them know what you're looking for.

I have adopted from 2 different RSPCA branches, one got my local RSPCA branch to do a home check, the other one I had to send photos in, because I’d previously adopted through the rspca. they also check with vets too I think. They were both a couple of hours drive away. I’ve also adopted twice from my local rabbit rescue, BARC, who I know do rehoming further afield. One thing I would say is that rescue staff are so very busy they won’t always be able to keep websites up to date so they may have somebunny suitable in mind. I would contact all suitable rescues just in case. I know that they will more than likely be doing a job as well as running a rescue so they might not reply quickly either, so it’s worth messaging on whatever format they seem to use most.

Definitely worth PMing Jill at Honeybunnies. She has an informal network of bunny runners and I've done a couple of runs for them :)

Definitely worth PMing Jill at Honeybunnies. She has an informal network of bunny runners and I've done a couple of runs for them :)

As in to help with transport? That's excellent! I don't have a car right now so will be asking a friend or my parents to help if we need to travel far to collect a bunny.

Sorry not replied as been inundated with requests about him but he won't be ready for a few weeks. We do have other bucks and can help with transport if you can bond yourself :)

I've helped out with transport to Windwhistle Warren for a member (sorry forget who it was) that came by train to Gloucester. Happy to help out like that again or with a bunny run.

Sorry not replied as been inundated with requests about him but he won't be ready for a few weeks. We do have other bucks and can help with transport if you can bond yourself :)

Thanks for getting back to me Jill! I am in contact with Wind Whistle too so will let you know. We won't be ready to adopt until Feb anyway as we're still setting up the new run expansion but wanted to put the feelers out there. I'm sure Brewster will be adopted in no time, he's cute as a button and deserves all the love in the world! :)

I've done a bunny run from Leeds to Basingstoke, which wasn't too bad because it wasn't all in one go and bunny stayed with us for a week until the next Saturday :) I don't mind driving quite long distances and sometimes can even convince the OH to come with and sort of bunny-sit :)

Back