• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns not liking the wind?

Graciee

Staff member
Penelope and Apricot are fine, but they don't like going out in the run when it's crazy windy like it is atm.. Which is fine they don't have to go out, just wondered how everyone else's buns like windy weather? Or if there was anything I could do about it? The run is covered and there's shelter in there, normal wind is fine, but this makes them stay in the enclosed hutch [emoji38] (hutch is all boarded up so it's like a dark burrow I guess)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

My two don't stay out of the shed when it's windy. Forage is generally served outside, so they will stay out long enough to get that and then retreat into the calm of the shed. The chickens also don't like wind. They will come out, but tend to shelter under bushes etc.

I don't like it much either! It's strong out there at the moment, although lovely and sunny.

I think the wind when strong is scary, they can't hear as well nor can they smell as well. I like some wind as I am a fresh air fiend. :D

Thanks both, yea I thought it was probably okay, just wanted to make sure, if it's breezy they seem fine, but winds been crazy last couple of days!

Thanks both, yea I thought it was probably okay, just wanted to make sure, if it's breezy they seem find, but winds been crazy last couple of days!

I have noticed none of mine have liked it when it's very windy. imo it's because as tonibun says - they can't hear or smell so well when it's windy - II.E. they can still hear & smell :lol: but not detect possible danger.

Yes, I remember mine didn't like the wind. Rain/snow fine but wind was a definite duvet day.

Last edited:
Mine aren't bothered by it. I remember during the hurricane Benji was sitting facing the wind. Was hilarious! The cat however hates it... the sound of it blowing through trees scares him x

Hi Gracie,

I live so far away from you across and ocean, yet last night it was quite windy and rainy. There was also some lightning and a very loud rolling of thunder. I even got out of bed to look outside to check the direction of the gusts that were causing my old spruce trees to sway and creak.
My Heidi began to stomp. Her original name was Fraidy because she startles easily. Once one starts to stomp the others stomp in response, like they are having a conversation.

Back