• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can rabbits catch our germs??

ive been ill for the past few days with a sickness bug, etc.

i was wondering if rabbits pick up human bugs like colds, sickness etc??

xxx

Fudgieshy.jpg

sososocute.jpg

fudge.jpg

I am not to sure on colds but in rabbiting on some months ago there was an article on human cold sores, I will try and find it out when I have chance. They are still doing research into it but basically it is not good news for bunnnies :(

The article also was a

what rabbits can catch from humans
what rabbits can catch from other animals and I think, what can we catch from rabbits

I am sure anyone else who has rabbiting on would know what I am talking about, can anyone else remember what was said :?:

As far as I'm aware, bunnies can't catch our germs, for the most part, but I know ferrets can. It's an area of constant research, though...

I believe the article mostly came to the conclusion there wasn't much that could be transfered either way. Cold sores was one as the virus could effect bunnies and I think the other was ring worm.

Tam

Mubby sneezes when I do!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was having a sneeze attack the other day and Mubby copied!! :lol: :lol:

ummmmm

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Il have to research the topic a bit more!!

does any one know what we bugs we can catch from rabbits????

p.s im feeling much better btw

:)

As far as I am aware not many bacteria and viruses that are dangerous to bunnys are dangerous to humans unless you are immunocompromised.

Ringworm which is actually a fungus is one of the few truly zoonotic diseases (both humans and animals can pass it to each other).

I found this paragraph:
Rabbit
Diseases of major public health importance in domestic rabbits are rarely encountered. Biting is uncommon but rabbits can inflict painful scratches with their rear limbs if improperly restrained.[3] Among the infectious diseases Pasteurella multocida may cause cutaneous infection in humans.[4] Other diseases to which rabbits are susceptible, e.g. salmonellosis, yersiniosis, tularemia, are extremely rare and are more commonly transmitted to humans by wild animals. Direct zoonotic transmission of Yersinia pseudotuberculosis from domestic rabbits has been documented.[5] More commonly some external parasites of the rabbit including fur mite acariasis (Cheyletiella) and dermatophytosis (Trichophyton) may be transmitted to humans.

Cheyletiella infestation (rabbit fur mite).
The rabbit fur mite, Cheyletiella parasitivorax, is uncommon in the domestic rabbit. It is an external parasite of the skin and hair that does not excavate tunnels or furrows in the skin. The life cycle is completed in about 35 days. Adult females and eggs can survive for 10 days off the animal body, but the larvae, nymphs and adult males are not very resistant and die in about 2 days in the environment.[6] Lesions in rabbits involve hair loss and a mild scaly, oily dermatitis. In humans the disease consists of a papular, and pruritic eruption on the arms, thorax, waist and thighs. Human infestation is transitory, inasmuch as the mites do not reproduce on human skin. For prevention of human infestation the infested rabbits should be treated with insecticides such as methyl carbamate once a week for 3 to 4 weeks.

Fungal skin infections (ringworm).
Fungal skin infections caused by Trichophyton mentagrophytes are rare. In rabbits irritation and inflammation of skin areas occur with crusts, scabs and hair loss. Affected animals should be isolated. Antifungal treatment with topical antifungal agents or systemic griseofulvin (25 mg/kg) for 4 weeks is effective. The spectrum of ringworm in humans varies from subclinical colonization to an inflammatory scaly eruption that spreads peripherally and causes localized alopecia. Diagnosis is made by identifying hyphae in skin scrapings on a potassium hydroxide slide or by isolation in fungal culture media, the only method that allows identifi-cation of the species. In humans topical treatment with clotrimazole (Lotrimin®, Mycelex®) or miconazole (Monistat-derm®), twice a day for 2 to 4 weeks, is usually sufficient. When extensive lesions are observed or scalp ringworm (tinea capitis), oral griseo-fulvin (Fulvicin®, Grifulvin V®, Grisactin®) should be used. In adults the dosage is 500 mg twice a day for 4 weeks at least.[7] In children the usual dose of oral microcrystalline griseofulvin is 10 to 15 mg/kg (up to 500 mg), given in one or two doses, preferably with fatty food such as ice cream or whole milk. Treatment should be continued for 4 to 8 weeks.
from http://www.anapsid.org/chomel.html

http://www.anapsid.org/chomeltables.html#table1 is a good reference table for all animal and fish zoonoses!

Caz

Denny said:
I am not to sure on colds but in rabbiting on some months ago there was an article on human cold sores, I will try and find it out when I have chance. They are still doing research into it but basically it is not good news for bunnnies :(

The article also was a

what rabbits can catch from humans
what rabbits can catch from other animals and I think, what can we catch from rabbits

I am sure anyone else who has rabbiting on would know what I am talking about, can anyone else remember what was said :?:

I have a copy of that issue at home cold sores they can catch so no kisses for bunnies if you have one of them!! I can't remember off the top of my head what else it is they can catch off us, or what it is we can catch off them

Mubby said:
Mubby sneezes when I do!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was having a sneeze attack the other day and Mubby copied!! :lol: :lol:

Aaaahhh bless he wants to be just like you :lol:

Like Caz said, you really shouldn't be able to catch anything from a rabbit unless your immune system's compromised badly...

I got yelled at for called ringworm a zoonosis, btw, during a talk I did...apparently fungi and parasites, etc aren't counted as zoonotic "diseases"...I gave my lecturer a filthy look...;)

So yea, ringworm, fleas, things like that, is the only thing, to my knowledge, which you can catch off a bun...

I think the only thing you can catch from bunnies is "ADDICTEDTOBUNNIES" syndrome :lol: :lol: There is no cure either :lol: :lol:

I'm sure there is something we can catch which lives around the mouth of the bunny.

My vet told me off when I took my first bun to have his injections for kissing my bun on his nose!

Back