• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oxbow Natural Science Supplements

Toasty123

Warren Scout
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting the oxbow natural science joint and also the digestive support supplements. I just stumbled on these supplements online recently and have read reviews about the oxbow joint supplement helping their arthritic rabbit, so was wondering if any of ye have purchased them for yours? (By the way my rabbit is on loxicom twice a day). I've tried feeding Toasty a bit of oxbow critical care to help with his digestion but he won't take it because I think he feels full from eating his pellets as he's eating normal and producing more poops, thank God :). So I'm thinking of getting the digestive support supplements to help with that. I want to know what your experiences are with these if you have purchased them, also I bought the pro fiber pellets and it was a fail Toasty was not at all interested :?. Also I wanted to know how you guys feed your rabbit hay if they have arthritis because I find that when I put it in his bed it get's caught in his feet. I'm thinking of cutting the hay with scissors in small pieces and putting them in a big bowl.

Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting the oxbow natural science joint and also the digestive support supplements. I just stumbled on these supplements online recently and have read reviews about the oxbow joint supplement helping their arthritic rabbit, so was wondering if any of ye have purchased them for yours? (By the way my rabbit is on loxicom twice a day). I've tried feeding Toasty a bit of oxbow critical care to help with his digestion but he won't take it because I think he feels full from eating his pellets as he's eating normal and producing more poops, thank God :). So I'm thinking of getting the digestive support supplements to help with that. I want to know what your experiences are with these if you have purchased them, also I bought the pro fiber pellets and it was a fail Toasty was not at all interested :?. Also I wanted to know how you guys feed your rabbit hay if they have arthritis because I find that when I put it in his bed it get's caught in his feet. I'm thinking of cutting the hay with scissors in small pieces and putting them in a big bowl.

I do not feed any of my Rabbits the Oxbow Supplements. Re the hay issue, can you put his hay in a hay rack

http://www.therabbithouse.com/equipment/hayrack.asp

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/hay_racks/83037

https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=rabbit hay feeder

Unfortunately Toasty is a very picky hay eater and that’s why I stopped putting it in a hay rack ☹️ as I’m afraid he wouldn’t eat any at all. Although I have just ordered a hay taster pack from the hay experts like you suggested, so hopefully he will have a favourite hay (fingers crossed).

My Dennis is on the joint care for his athritis and he is quite fond of them. He's quite particular too. I just have hay allover thr floor for Dennis and around the edges of his litter tray

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

My Dennis is on the joint care for his athritis and he is quite fond of them. He's quite particular too. I just have hay allover thr floor for Dennis and around the edges of his litter tray

Awhh that's great that your Dennis enjoys them :love:. Our bunnies are quite alike then ;) so I have hope that he'll like them. He usually doesn't like anything man made except for his nuggets :roll:. I tried those treats that you can get from the pet shops in the past, wouldn't even go near them :lol:. Is Dennis also on medication may I ask? As I have read a few reviews online saying that this supplement has even replaced their buns medication for the long run, which I would also love to do as well.

Awhh that's great that your Dennis enjoys them :love:. Our bunnies are quite alike then ;) so I have hope that he'll like them. He usually doesn't like anything man made except for his nuggets :roll:. I tried those treats that you can get from the pet shops in the past, wouldn't even go near them [emoji38]. Is Dennis also on medication may I ask? As I have read a few reviews online saying that this supplement has even replaced their buns medication for the long run, which I would also love to do as well.
Dennis is on metacam twice daily, he was on those before metacam. I personally don't think they would be able to replace metacam unfortunately but every little helps!

Not those ones, but Atticus has the gut ones and Clementine has the urinary support ones :)

Some buns won't eat them apparently according to my Vet. Can't hurt I don't think, but definitely not a replacement for loxicom imo x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Not those ones, but Atticus has the gut ones and Clementine has the urinary support ones :)

Some buns won't eat them apparently according to my Vet. Can't hurt I don't think, but definitely not a replacement for loxicom imo x

Are the urinary support supplements suitable for inconsistency, I was considering those as well. Although the cause hasn't been ruled out completely, no x-rays or bloods was taken but urinalysis levels came back normal. Toasty is on the picky side, I wonder if it's worth the try!

Are the urinary support supplements suitable for inconsistency, I was considering those as well. Although the cause hasn't been ruled out completely, no x-rays or bloods was taken but urinalysis levels came back normal. Toasty is on the picky side, I wonder if it's worth the try!

I don't think so, I think it's mainly as a natural diuretic, to help with sludge.

Honestly I wouldn't give any of these supplements without testing to find out what's going on with Toasty, It could be that whatever it is, is treatable or manageable a different way. After finding out what's going on I'd discuss the supplements with your vet too, taking 3 different ones seems a lot, Idk if that's okay etc. Plus if he's fussy I'd bet he won't eat them [emoji51] maybe worth a try with one pack after discussing with your vet, but I wouldn't buy all of them, incase he isn't interested [emoji51][emoji38]

Toasty if you would like me to send you one tablet of each of the joint support & urinary support I can do that. they are pretty expensive if Toasty turns his nose at them as some bunnies do. They are rock hard - I have to soak Mouses in water to soften it but my others bunnies eat them fine

Toasty if you would like me to send you one tablet of each of the joint support & urinary support I can do that. they are pretty expensive if Toasty turns his nose at them as some bunnies do. They are rock hard - I have to soak Mouses in water to soften it but my others bunnies eat them fine

I cross posted with Graicee. I agree with her that establishing toastys problems through your vet is sensible. My vet won't recommend the support tablets as they have no evidence base but she is happy for me to use them. They won't be a solution on their own either way. good luck

Yea I can send one of the gut ones, then you'll have all three for him to sample [emoji38]

But definitely talk to your vet, and try get to the bottom of it first, these supplements won't work miracles on their own imo.

When he pees, does it just go all over him? Or is he constantly peeing a little? Or is it coming out in drips?

Yea I can send one of the gut ones, then you'll have all three for him to sample [emoji38]

But definitely talk to your vet, and try get to the bottom of it first, these supplements won't work miracles on their own imo.

When he pees, does it just go all over him? Or is he constantly peeing a little? Or is it coming out in drips?

Oh thank you Graciee, Yes I'll definitely will be asking the vet about this. It would be great if I could have all three :lol:, as Toasty does turn his nose up to everything rock hard. I've noticed now that he's peeing more on himself when I'm holding him. It's really hard to figure out why his peeing would come out normal sometimes then other times a little comes out and goes over him :(. It happened yesterday and today as well. I think he may have to be on baytril again, even though the vet said at that time that the urinalysis was normal. But then again there was no culture test taken so i think there may be an infection that didn't clear up, he was on baytril for around 10 days back in early November.

Awwh that's very kind of you joey&boo :love:. Yes Toasty turns his nose at everything rock hard and yes they are very expensive indeed. I bought I will definitely send you a pm of my address once I talk to the vet about it.

Thanks joey&boo, I'll pm you my address after talking to my vet about it x

Back