• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril 10%

Stina28

New Kit
Hi guys,

I'm really concerned about my bunny and our recent visit to the vet. So this morning, we had to rush to vets because our tiny lionhead was feeling really poorly and had breathing difficulties. So the vet prescribed Baytril for 10 days, once a day via syringe. I have had Baytril before but it's always been the 2.5%, this time he gave us the 10% but a very little dosage. The bunny gets 0.15 ml of Baytril 10% once a day, he's 1.360 kg. I just don't feel sure about the higher concentration.

Hi guys,

I'm really concerned about my bunny and our recent visit to the vet. So this morning, we had to rush to vets because our tiny lionhead was feeling really poorly and had breathing difficulties. So the vet prescribed Baytril for 10 days, once a day via syringe. I have had Baytril before but it's always been the 2.5%, this time he gave us the 10% but a very little dosage. The bunny gets 0.15 ml of Baytril 10% once a day, he's 1.360 kg. I just don't feel sure about the higher concentration.

The dose is within the standard dose range

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Oxytetracycline.htm

Thank you but does it matter if it's a 10% one?
dear stina,--you going to have to call the dvm which prescribed baytril[antibiotic]--as far as-10 % go-I need milligrams-[MG]-per ea.dose to work with.-the book says baytril-[enrofloxacin]-5-15mg/kg--and ask the dvm about probotics,rabbits are strictly herbivoures,the gi tract flora must be replenished,-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Thank you but does it matter if it's a 10% one?

No, because the Vet only prescribed 0.15ml which equates to 15mg. 0.15ml of the 2.5% Baytril would only equate to 0.375mg which would be an UNDERDOSE.

As you will see from the link in my previous post, the dose range can vary :

''Lagomorphs - Oryctolagus cuniculus domesticus - Domestic rabbit:
Note: in young individuals, may cause arthropathies. Limit administration by subcutaneous or intramuscular injection, as these routes may leas to muscle necrosis or development of sterile abscess.
5 - 10 mg/kg orally or subcutaneously twice daily.
5 - 10 mg/kg subcutaneously, orally or intravenously every 12 hours or 20 mg/kg subcutaneously, orally or intravenously every 24 hours, or 100 - 200 mg/L drinking water.
5 mg/kg orally, subcutaneously, intramuscularly or intravenously every 12 hours.
5 - 10 mg/kg orally, subcutaneously, or intramuscularly every 12 hours.
5 - 20 mg/kg orally or intramuscularly every 12 hours. For 14 - 30 days for treatment of Pasteurellosis in Lagomorphs.
100 mg per litre of drinking water. In a clinical trial, this was effective against Pasteurellosis in Lagomorphs if intake exceeded 5 mg/kg per 24 hours.
200 mg per litre of drinking water. In a clinical trial against Pasteurellosis in Lagomorphs, for 14 days.
5 mg/kg twice daily subcutaneously, 10 mg/kg once daily subcutaneously, or 5 - 10 mg/kg orally twice daily.
5 mg/kg orally, subcutaneously or intramuscularly every 12 hours.
50 - 100 mg per litre of drinking water.
5 -15 mg/kg orally, subcutaneously or intramuscularly every 12 hours.
10 mg/kg orally every 12 hours. Good oral bioavailability, wide tissue distribution, broad-spectrum including against Pasteurella, Bordatella, Staphylococcus, Listeria and Yersinia spp.. Not effective against anaerobic bacteria, therefore a poor choice in the treatment of bite wounds and tooth-related abscesses.''

Back