• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Friend for bunny with snuffles

Stina28

New Kit
Hi guys, I am looking for some advice for my friend who doesn't speak English but needs a lot of help in regards to her bunny. My friend's bunny is a 2 year old neutered lionhead lop boy who hasn't had a friend yet. My friend has been looking into adopting a female friend for the bunny for some time now, however, the bunny was diagnosed with snuffles about 4 months ago. After multiple rounds and mixes of antibiotics, he is symptom free now. Their vet said that the bunny will always be a carrier and occasionally may have flare ups when he will need a round of antibiotics to ease it. My friend is concerned if she should bring a new rabbit into the house amd bond the bunnies at all just in case the other bunny gets sick too. I couldn't give her advice because I have no experience in the matter but she is also really keen to have a friend for her bunny. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi guys, I am looking for some advice for my friend who doesn't speak English but needs a lot of help in regards to her bunny. My friend's bunny is a 2 year old neutered lionhead lop boy who hasn't had a friend yet. My friend has been looking into adopting a female friend for the bunny for some time now, however, the bunny was diagnosed with snuffles about 4 months ago. After multiple rounds and mixes of antibiotics, he is symptom free now. Their vet said that the bunny will always be a carrier and occasionally may have flare ups when he will need a round of antibiotics to ease it. My friend is concerned if she should bring a new rabbit into the house amd bond the bunnies at all just in case the other bunny gets sick too. I couldn't give her advice because I have no experience in the matter but she is also really keen to have a friend for her bunny. Any advice is appreciated.
dear stina28,-there are things you can do like [a-mirror]-for the bunz,and things to occupy his time,ie.chew sticks,cardboard boxes,newspaper,-be creative.--as for the the ec just ask your exotic dvm for advise.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

I can understand your friends thinking & its sensible to research. Personally it wouldn't stop me adopting a friend for my bunny if my existing one had the snuffles. As you say its often an on / off condition with intermittent flare ups, usually due to physical or emotional upset. Many years ago I has 2 bonded sisters, one has snuffles throughout her life but her sister never exhibited any signs. When her sister died I adopted Joey (one of my current bunnies) to bond to her & he never had any symptoms either.

Of my four rabbits one has snuffles, although they are in pairs they have had prolonged contact as a group. I think its more about an individual rabbit susceptibility to the responsible bacteria rather than exposure to it through other rabbits. I'm not saying its not a risk, it probably is, but i think its low enough to take. The bunny with snuffles is much more likely to enjoy good emotional health if he has a rabbit friend & this will have a positive effect on his snuffles & overall health

I have had bunnies with snuffles. One had flare ups more often and for longer periods as he got older. Another had it and then went a long time before getting a flare up. While the snuffles bunnies did not share an enclosure with other bunnies, my other bunnies did not have any symptoms of snuffles.
Others on RU may know if what I heard years ago is true-- that many bunnies are carriers of snuffles from their mothers and they just do not have symptoms unless stressed or compromised.

I too have had bonded pairs, one of whom had a history of 'Snuffles'. The other never had any symptoms at all. Although he could potentially have been a carrier of the bacteria involved (Pasteurella usually, but not always).

How long has your Friend's Rabbit been off antibiotics and asymptomatic ? I would certainly want to leave any bonding attempts for a couple of months after apparent recovery/stopping abx. Bonding itself is stressful, so potentially could cause a flare up of the symptoms of Snuffles. But if Bunny has been asymptomatic with no abx for several weeks it indicates his immune system is in relatively good shape.

There is no guarantee that your Friend's Rabbit wont pass on 'Snuffles' to a companion, but it is not inevitable. I guess what I am saying is that there is some risk, but it is one many Rabbit care givers feel to be worth taking so that their Rabbit has a companion, which is almost always better for their overall welfare. Sometimes Rescues will have a Rabbit in need of a Forever home and also has a history of 'Snuffles'. So that may be a good option for your friend and her Rabbit.

These links may be useful to take a look at and to pass on to your friend :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/rabbit-snuffles/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/natures-...JRtn_4a8b9t6MN2mtEYfoaMctk-nVb9RoCEZAQAvD_BwE

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/echinacea

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/rabbit...atures_grub_echinacea_for_small_animals_150g/

Thank you for the replies. I think he's only been symptom free for 2 or three weeks so it's best to wait more time then.

Back